There are people, who would do anything to stick on to a job and there are people, who would do anything to run away from it and do things on their own. The second category of people are typically called as entrepreneurs.
George Bernard Shaw once said
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. “
The entrepreneur is the unreasonable man. Can you ever imagine life without an electrical bulb? If Thomas Alva Edison did not take pains, failed about 10,000 times and not persisted, we would be today living in the dark. The entrepreneurs of the world make it a place worth living. Just look around yourself, how many things you see started with a small bit of entrepreneurship and ended up changing the world. Some of the examples are computers, Television, internet etc.
Some people are born to lead and become entrepreneurs, while others learn on the way. Most of them however often have similar characteristics. I have outlined some of these characteristics.
An Entrepreneur is a person,
- who is not happy with status quo
- who wants to bring a positive change to the world
- who has definite ideas and a plan
- who does not worry about failures
- who has willingness to take risks and to spend his hard earned money
- who is constantly learning new things
- who sees setbacks as opportunities
- who understands that success comes with patience
- who takes criticism in his stride, talks less and is action oriented
- who goes against the ‘popular wisdom’
To summarize, an entrepreneur is a person who believes in his idea, is not afraid to take risks and is action oriented.
If you feel that you have these in you, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and jump in the pool of entrepreneurship. At least you will learn swimming.