Is “Customer Loyalty” relevant today?

by Ashvini on January 21, 2011 · 9 comments

in Business

Customer Loyalty

A prominent multiplex in India has a luxury seating space. The guests are treated the best when they opt for luxury seats. There are special waiters to serve them, the food is served on the seats.

The same multiplex does not treat its other customers in the similar manner. If you are an ‘ordinary’ customer, you are treated badly and many times you are rudely talked to. The smile that you see on the ticket checkers sadly goes off on the face of the ticket checkers on “normal” seats.

I have a rule. I do not go to normal class. I will not watch five movies a month in normal class. Most of the time I patiently wait for the movies to appear on DVDs or VCDs. I would rather go once to watch the movie in luxury seats. I love the experience.

I however absolutely detest the multiplex. Given an alternative, I would never go to their halls. They will never have my loyalty. I will never speak or write nice about them I am not their frequent customer. I am just there because I do not have an alternative.

A customer would feel loved where he/she is provided the best attention. No doubt some take it for granted and start misbehaving but they are the exceptions. The multiplex earns from me once a month but loses on at least three to four movies because of their rude behaviour.

Don’t I have choice? I do have. I will have to just drive a little longer. I do that most of the time. I spend more on petrol than I would if I get a better experience. Experience is what matters. That is why you would see parks and resorts filled all the year round. A fairly decent customer service with a great natural experience make people drive hundreds of kilometers just to be there.

Loyalty is relevant today. A loyal customer is not only who comes back but who talks about your business, who gets you more business and who talks about his experience in various forums. A customer shares your page on facebook. He or she tweets about it. He puts the experience on the blog as I have put it. That is what is loyalty.

You can have a thousand loyalty program launched. A customer will not be loyal till he or she experiences your business and that should be good.

lawmacs January 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Good customer service is the cornerstone of all successful business and as you rightly said whenever a customer is satisfied he will tell his friends and that friend will tell another friend thanks for the heads up. Well written.

Ashvini January 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Gary for your words on the topic. They reinforce what I have been thinking.

Alka January 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Once they have created a brand, most forget about customer service. Like PVR..the tickets and eatables are exorbitantly priced and the carpets and seats are not well maintained now. As a customer I do feel cheated. More so if the movie turns out to be a waste of time…Hope competition spurs some action…but consistent quality is a big issue in India.

Ashvini January 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Yes I know and understand what you mean. I often tell them that they will never get my service. If they dont listen its their loss because we do have choices. Thanks for your comment.

Aswani January 22, 2011 at 11:35 am

Very true and I must say..it happens mostly in India. Well, I haven’t much to the multiplexes and I don’t watch much movies either. But I agree to whatever you have shared here. I too have been through a similar experience quite a number of times. Mostly in the restaurants where the moment you enter, you can make out from the faces of the waiter and manager both. Bas paisa bolta hain…you place a bigger order and then see how it all changes. Customer is good as long as he spends more…sad but true !!

Ashvini January 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Today’s business believe in murdering the goose that lays the golden egg. Sad the wisdom gained in thousand years is not imbibed. Thanks for comments

Nicola Deiana January 22, 2011 at 7:51 am

The best example of a company creating customer loyalty is Apple. I’m not their client but I have to admit that they know what people really need and this is the reason because many of customer always come back by them.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm