I am on vacation yet I was compelled to write this piece because of my horrible experience with a top airline. It is also a testament that how can just advertisement without delivery can harm your company’s brand image.
Here are the things how everything went wrong:
- We paid a large amount for costliest airline. There was no usher on the airport to guide us to check in.
- People were allowed to carry more than one handbag/luggage. There was no place to put my one bag.
- The onboard entertainment did not work
- Crew informed passengers that onbaord entertainment needs to be rebooted and will be back in fifteen minutes
- Food tasted unsavory
- Onboard entertainment never worked right till the end of flight
- Flight landed with a thud.
In overall an extremely bad experience. Now when I see the advertisements of the airline, it makes me hurt because of the experience. All their goody goody advertisements add to the negative image. They did not deliver even 50% of what they promised.
Advertising feels unreal and false when you do not back it up with the right service and support. Advertisement means commitment atleast to deliver what you said. It may be okay if you slip a little but if you slip like above, you are denting your image like never before.
So when you want to go over the top and put up huge billboards, make sure that you know what you are doing. Raising expectation is never difficult, meeting them is. So even if people are not filing lawsuits they are ready to chuck you off the moment they spot something better.