When advertisements harms your brand

by Ashvini on April 22, 2011 · 9 comments

in Business

I am on vacation yet I was compelled to write this piece because of my horrible experience with a top airline. It is also a testament that how can just advertisement without delivery can harm your company’s brand image.

Here are the things how everything went wrong:

1. We paid a large amount for costliest airline. There was no usher on the airport to guide us to check in.
  2. People were allowed to carry more than one handbag/luggage. There was no place to put my one bag.
  3. The onboard entertainment did not work
  4. Crew informed passengers that onbaord entertainment needs to be rebooted and will be back in fifteen minutes
  5. Food tasted unsavory
  6. Onboard entertainment never worked right till the end of flight
  7. Flight landed with a thud.

In overall an extremely bad experience. Now when I see the advertisements of the airline, it makes me hurt because of the experience. All their goody goody advertisements add to the negative image. They did not deliver even 50% of what they promised.

Advertising feels unreal and false when you do not back it up with the right service and support. Advertisement means commitment atleast to deliver what you said. It may be okay if you slip a little but if you slip like above, you are denting your image like never before.

So when you want to go over the top and put up huge billboards, make sure that you know what you are doing. Raising expectation is never difficult, meeting them is. So even if people are not filing lawsuits they are ready to chuck you off the moment they spot something better.

Veronica Cervera October 31, 2011 at 6:40 am

Compromised promises will definitely break credibility and trust. Advertisements are commonly used now as a weapon to use against the competition – not to educate and inform the customer of how good the product really is. Companies tend to work backwards. They work on marketing and advertising the brand first, then worry about the quality later. It should be the other way around – focus on quality first, then tell people all about it.

Anna April 26, 2011 at 12:59 am

A few years ago I used to believe everything that was advertised and suffered to find out that advertising and reality are different things. Now I don’t believe in adverts – I prefer trying everything myself and making my own opinion.
Moreover, I will never pay extra money just because it was advertised by some famous person.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

There is so much advertising overload today. I wish advertisers would be subtle in sending messages rather than placing huge billboards. Endorsement by celebrities still get them eyeballs so we are going to see them forever. However the efficacy of advertising as a way of attracting customers has reduced a lot.

Thanks again for your comment.
Ashvini

Aswani April 24, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hi Ashvini, I think you are getting used to it now :P:P Often and again, I have seen you faced with these issues, all from your posts. But anyways, I have to agree with what you have said. Sadly, advertisement is reduced to fooling people these days. Most of the times, it looks so. Common man has to suffer finally…:(

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hi Aswani,
All of us suffer from these experiences now and then but it is just that I blog about them . An entrepreneur should stay thousand miles from advertising before even the brand becomes known. The shortcomings of all big companies are simply difficult to handle.

Thanks for commenting.
Ashvini

Haresh April 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Which airline?

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 23, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi Haresh,
I can’t tell that but there are enough hints ;).
Thanks for commenting.
Ashvini

RACHIT SHARMA April 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Showing off never pays off in real life too and its very much similar in reel life.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hi Rachit,

Showing off never helps but sometimes it is difficult to explain to people who does that.
Thanks for commenting.