Convert your hobby into a business -Part 1

by Ashvini on April 26, 2011 · 14 comments

in Convert your hobby to business,Entrepreneur Series

Starting is your own business is by doing something that is close to your heart. What better it can be then to take what you enjoy to the next level. I mean my converting your hobby to a business. Hobbies are something that we enjoy doing by taking time out from our busy lives. They give us joy, a sense of accomplishment and help us relax. If we are exceptionally good at our hobby, the next logical step “may be” to make it a business.

World is full of examples where people have taken up their hobbies and made them into their business.

• Her likeliness towards perfumes and cosmetics lead Anita Roddicks to start “The body shop” which became the industry leader for cosmetics and was later acquired by L’Oreal.
  • Linus Torvalds wrote his OS ‘Linux’ just for fun. Linux then went on to become a huge hit in industry shaking big giants like Microsoft as well.
  • In her early days Martha Stewart too created a successful business out of her passion about interior decoration
  • You will find a lot of people leaving their corporate jobs to pursue their careers in writing, cooking, swimming

There are a number of reasons why you would want to extend your hobby into a business .

1. You already possess “domain knowledge”
  2. There is no need to work somewhere and learn about your hobby because you already know what it takes to have a hobby like this. For e.g. if you want to open a music instrument store, you would already know the difference between various kinds of guitars.

3. You know how to teach it to others and enjoy it
  4. You have been making those tasty pickles for around ten years now and distributing them to your neighbors. They often come to you to find out why they are so tasty. You love to share the recipes with them and the sharing takes your reputation far away

5. You have practiced for years to make it perfect
  6. You have added your everyday bit to your hobby and are so good at it that people talk about you when they talk about that activity.

7. You know a lot of people who have similar hobby
  8. You know a lot of people who dvelve into similar kind of hobby that you have. You may one day team up with them to create a business. It is a thing that both of you enjoy the most.

9. This is your most strong area in the business
  10. To run a business, you need to have a strong understanding of atleast one business area. Fortunately you know the core business area which is just an extension of your hobby.

Matt June 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Yes, I think it’s always better to take something that you already know and enjoy and make money out of that rather than starting a business only on the basis that you think it will be lucrative.

This is because that thing you thought would make you lots of money may actually already have a lot of competition. And if you don’t enjoy it anyway, then you will probably give up before you do start to see some money. But if you’re doing something you love, you’re much more likely to stick with it no matter what. And that will mean that you’ll slowly start to pull ahead of the competition, even if it is fierce.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for commenting on my blog post. I have looked at your blog too and it seems very informative.

You have provided a very good insight that if we love something and are persistent about it , you could really race ahead of the competition.

DiNaRa May 3, 2011 at 12:45 am

I think that if you manage to combine your hobby and your business, you will be the luckiest person in the world. I admire the people you have mentioned in your post and I’m sure there are many other famous people who did the same.
Gonna read all the other posts from this series.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 3, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hi DiNaRa,

Its great to know that you like the post. Keep coming back and thanks for comments.

Anna April 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I guess the most important thing is to understand that the time has come – the time to turn your hobby into business. Some people are to hurry to start it – as a rule they fail or this activity stops being their hobby.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Hi Anna,

I think I can use your point above in my last post of this series .. to have a lot of patience. Check out the next post by monday :))

Thanks for taking time and commenting.

Have a great day.
Ashvini

Brendan April 27, 2011 at 7:24 am

My passion and hobby is gourmet food and is something I share with my wife. We have put together a collection of our favorite food and wine and made them into gift baskets for family and friends. They were so popular we were asked to make them for some local businesses and festivals and than we started a market stall.
Before long, we had a warehouse and website and we ship all across Australia!

If you have a dream, and believe, you can achieve.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hi Brendan,
It is just great to know that you have turned your hobby into a successful business. I think your story serves as a inspiration for so many people who want to do something on their own. And what better than to convert your hobby. I appreciate your visiting my site and commenting.

Best regards,
Ashvini

RACHIT SHARMA April 26, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I totally agree with you.. converting hobby into a full-time business not only adds to your enjoyment but also proves great financially because then you give your hundred percent to a task.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I agree. I am also going to continue this series so keep coming back :)). Thanks for your comments.
Ashvini

Aswain April 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hi Ashvini, thanks a bunch for this great advice. I think this needs to be followed by most of us. I believe that most of us have a hobby. Having a hobby makes you feel better and relaxed and no doubt, this surely can turn out profiting in the long run as you have quoted in those examples. Great points. Keep it up!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Bro for commenting. There is nothing like in this world as much as enjoying when you are working. The best way is then to convert your hobby into business.

{ 2 trackbacks }