Starting is your own business is by doing something that is close to your heart. What better it can be then to take what you enjoy to the next level. I mean my converting your hobby to a business. Hobbies are something that we enjoy doing by taking time out from our busy lives. They give us joy, a sense of accomplishment and help us relax. If we are exceptionally good at our hobby, the next logical step “may be” to make it a business.
World is full of examples where people have taken up their hobbies and made them into their business.
- Her likeliness towards perfumes and cosmetics lead Anita Roddicks to start “The body shop” which became the industry leader for cosmetics and was later acquired by L’Oreal.
- Linus Torvalds wrote his OS ‘Linux’ just for fun. Linux then went on to become a huge hit in industry shaking big giants like Microsoft as well.
- In her early days Martha Stewart too created a successful business out of her passion about interior decoration
- You will find a lot of people leaving their corporate jobs to pursue their careers in writing, cooking, swimming
There are a number of reasons why you would want to extend your hobby into a business .
- You already possess “domain knowledge”
- You know how to teach it to others and enjoy it
- You have practiced for years to make it perfect
- You know a lot of people who have similar hobby
- This is your most strong area in the business
There is no need to work somewhere and learn about your hobby because you already know what it takes to have a hobby like this. For e.g. if you want to open a music instrument store, you would already know the difference between various kinds of guitars.
You have been making those tasty pickles for around ten years now and distributing them to your neighbors. They often come to you to find out why they are so tasty. You love to share the recipes with them and the sharing takes your reputation far away
You have added your everyday bit to your hobby and are so good at it that people talk about you when they talk about that activity.
You know a lot of people who dvelve into similar kind of hobby that you have. You may one day team up with them to create a business. It is a thing that both of you enjoy the most.
To run a business, you need to have a strong understanding of atleast one business area. Fortunately you know the core business area which is just an extension of your hobby.