How education is discouraging entrepreneurship

by Ashvini on May 16, 2011 · 7 comments

in Entrepreneurship

Children in India need to learn following courses in their school lives

Arts – History, economics and geography( strange isn’t it?)

Science – Physics, chemistry, mathematics

Languages– English, mother tongue, a regional language, ancient language.

Extra curricular– Music, Physical training etc.

Lab work in all science courses

Project in one area

This is to be covered in one year and not in ten years.

Situation in college is not better.On an average, a student has to study eight courses with five lab classes included in half a year.

Students cram to get marks. They don’t go in depth, don’t develop any competency. They are fodder for corporate world which is a giant mill filtering people like grains and putting them anywhere it wants.

With slight differences, I am sure it is same everywhere. Individuality, specialization in the field is not determined by the choice but by market potential.

The way education is organized these days is highly detrimental to entrepreneurship. Instead of getting a job, the focus should be on create a job.

Wim @ Sales Sells May 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I agree with you that education is not entrepreneur-friendly these days. There’s almost no room for creativity, innovation and initiatives. A more project-oriented approach would help. I remember we had to create or own small start-up in high school, selling soap. It was an awesome experience and actually became the first trigger that led me to entrepreneurship. Just shows how powerful it can be.

Wim

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 18, 2011 at 3:21 am

Hi Wim,
Welcome to the blog and thanks for your comment.
I perfectly agree that education should evoke the natural abilities of a child rather than pushing him/her in the direction of cramming. The earlier we are taught skills to develop our soft skills the better it is . Your example only adds to argument. Thanks and keep coming back.
Ashvini

Brad Harmon @ Big Feet Marketing May 17, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Wow, Ashvini. That’s a lot of cramming in a short time period. It’s no wonder we’re falling behind here in the U.S. when compared to other countries. The argument for all of the non-essential course material is that it provides a more well-rounded person with an ability to think outside of the box. Trade schools here focus only on practical real-world knowledge, but I’ve found too many times they train robots who are ill equipped to adapt. It seems like the right balance is somewhere in between.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hi Brad,

Haha!!! yes it is a lot of cramming in so less a time. I could not reconcile to the system because I liked learning two or three things at a time . Also I never cared for scoring more than 70% while toppers always scored more than 90%. It is good to have such a system for well rounded personality as you rightly said but also a balanced approach is needed ( which is what you said).
In the end I passed the toughest engineering entrance exam in India while many of the toppers could not . That was probably my way of learning things. To have a right attitude balance of right education is necessary.
Thanks for your comment ,
Ashvini

Steve Shoemaker May 17, 2011 at 6:48 am

Ashvini I agree sometimes I really wonder about the relevancy of some of this stuff to the real world. I think instead teaching people what to think maybe we should focus on teaching them what to think.

Steve

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

Hi Steve,
Welcome to my site and thanks for your comment.
Yes, I also wonder the usefulness of what I have been taught. In the end I remember only the subjects I liked as a student. However there was no subject on developing life skills ( interpersonal, negotiation, project management etc. ). These are important as well.
Have a great day.