Good employee- What does it take for management to notice you?

by Ashvini on September 6, 2011 · 12 comments

in Management

This is the part of series of articles on “How to manage team effectively”

This topic was suggested very kindly by Carolyn from The wonder of Tech, an excellent blogger herself. If you want to suggest to me any topic, do contact me by clicking on contact link in the menu bar

Good employee

Employee often have the perception that it is the job of manager to manage him or her and not the vice versa. A manager is expected to resolve conflicts, track issues and manage employees. The employee meanwhile can continue doing his 9 to 5 job without worrying how the team is run and issues are resolved.

However with changing dynamics of the workplace, employees are expected to do much more than their job roles. A simple job routine is no guarantee of a promotion. These days, employee needs to add value to the team .

But how does an employee actually add value to the role? Here is how

Add value to even the smallest task

A energetic, motivated employee can add value to the smallest task that is at hand.

In one of the teams I knew had to fill in the time sheet every month. Most the employees filled in the time-sheet with lazy effort while a few did with lot of effort. In the end the employees who did it right were appreciated by management.

Consistently adding values is often noticed by management.

• Add value to even smallest of the task
  • Consistently add value to tasks

Come up with a problem and a possible solution too

An assumed role for manager is to provide solution to the problems at hand. However they also sometimes wish that the employees too take a little bit of burden of solution. They prefer subordinates who do enough research about the problem and come up with solution before they approach the manager.

• Research the solution and present to the management
  • Let manager decide the outcome

Share knowledge with your team

Management appreciates employees who, when they learned something new, share it with everyone in the team.  A good employee shares his knowledge with everyone.

• Learn new things
  • Share with the team
  • Become a contact point for it

Create and implement best practice

A good employee not only generate the idea about doing something well but also help the team implement it.

• Create a best practice idea
  • Creates a process to implement the best practice
  • Help the team implement the idea

Maintain excellent relationships with colleagues

In a team, confrontations are almost unavoidable. Tricky issues can come up and spoil the dynamics of team. Good employees however do not take these issues personally. They concentrate on resolution of the problem while also managing excellent relations with other team members.

• Conflicts are unavoidable
  • Work around conflicts
  • Focus on problem solving

Assume the role of mentors

In a company once I worked at , there was an excellent mentorship program. All new joiners had one senior person as mentor each . They were given some money to spend and go around. It was really a nice ice-breaker thing. In the end all new joiners learned a lot about business from seniors while they were having fun outside office.

When the new batch joined, the mentored employees became mentors themselves.

• Share your experience
  • Adopt a mentorship approach

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Veronica Cervera@south beach condos October 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm

In whatever we do in the organization, it’s very important that we add value. This is usually what management notices. We have to exceed expectations as often as we possibly can. Now if the tasks get really challenging, it’s important also to feel grateful that we were entrusted that project. It just goes to show that we’re capable. If we pull it off, that’s another plus for us. In addition, I think it’s also important to have fun while your doing it. I think management notices that too – whether or not you’re happy with what you’re doing.

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech September 10, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hey Ashvini, Another awesome post! I agreed with every word of it. If everyone followed your sage advice, companies would run more smoothly and efficiently.

I had one boss who called me into his office about a month after I started working for him. He wanted to know how everything was going. I told him that everything was fine. He then asked specifics, how I was getting along with my secretary, other people in the department, if I liked my office. I explained that everything was fine. He looked stunned.

“You have no complaints?” he asked. I told him that I saw my job as being to help him. I told him I had everything I needed to do the job and that if I had any issues I would let him know. He confided in me that everyone else seemed to complain daily about various annoyances.

I didn’t understand why people complained. If your boss sees that you’re working in his best interest, he’s bound to appreciate that. Make him understand you’re on his team, that you have his back.

Now that assumes you have an awesome boss like I did. But even if you don’t, the boss doesn’t want to hear complaints all the time.

My favorite point of yours, Ashvini, was the one about mentoring. Too many people see everyone at work as a threat and don’t want to help them succeed.

I hope you got to be a mentor at your company, Ashvini. You’re doing a great job with mentoring us here!

Have a great weekend. :-)

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hi Carolyn,

I dont think anyone could have given better example. I think your boss was very fortunate to have an employee who went out of the way to develop better relations with the team.
I think too many people focus only on getting results and when they dont they get frustrated. It is important to build our reputation before we start cashing it.
I have been mentor and had excellent mentors as well. I want to learn from everyone as much as possible. The part about being a good employee is to learn and share. Many wants to become boss quickly but fail to understand the basics.
Carolyn, thanks for your personal examples. It makes my case stronger :)
You too have a great week ahead

Sonia September 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Quite honestly, you have to work your butt off! Nowadays, your competing with 20 something’s that have no experience, but are deemed “hungrier”. My mother always told me, “the more you know, the more valuable you are” when it pertained to what your “worth” was in the work place. Is that still true today? Maybe…maybe not, I think our economy has dictated other “new” rules these days.

For me personally, working during the day and blogging at night makes me work harder because I have other things I am focused on outside of the workplace. To keep it real: Stay on your game, period! If you slip up, there is always someone new willing and waiting to take your place. Does that mean that things could turn cut throat? Maybe if your the one on the cutting board about to get laid off for cheaper labor.

From what I see, people are looking to ensure if they are on the chopping board, they have something else in place to supplement their lost wages. You have to be prepared and avoid being “complacent”. We all do it at some point and don’t even realize it and when we are faced with the thought of being axed, we turn up the heat to stay on top, but you know by that time it’s too late.

You can’t read minds and know if what you do daily is worthy or acceptable from your employer, just do what is asked and do what others won’t do (legally of course). Some might disagree or agree and that’s fine, but right now my future is always on the line if the economy doesn’t take a positive change and people stop buying.

Focus, stay ahead of the game, work smarter, don’t kiss a– and be yourself.

As usual Ash…Loved this!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hi Sonia,
How are you doing ? As always you add one more dimension to the whole discussion

I guess jobs going to cheap is a real threat to everyone not only to people living in western countries. India had it so good when call centre jobs were outsourced to India. It increased prosperity here while also increasing the wages. Today most of the voice support has moved to other countries who can work on cheaper basis while people working here were laid off.
I think this is a part of the value chain. Sooner or later work will shift to cheaper location for whatever reason. The only way employees can make them useful to the company is to add so much value that they cannot be made redundant. I think it is easier said than done but at least trying is better than not. I totally agree that younger generation is taking jobs from old workforce as they learn faster and are more adaptable. That is they key flexibility and adaptability.
Of course entrepreneurship and going your own way is the best option and nothing can beat it. Joining small startups and learning new things is also one of the better ways to stay in the job market.
Thanks for all the tips and sharing your experience with us. I really appreciate it :).
Have a great day :)

Aswani September 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Well, Ashvini you have come up with some very good points. I have to agree with all your points. Being myself a employee here, I think it is easy to get noticed for negative reasons but the same never gets visible while we have been toiling daily like anything. Honestly, we have a very small team here and I have been managing it from long. I have been making sure that everything goes of well in the end but sadly, at the end of the day…nothing else matters except results. It hasn’t been as expected here but there are reasons for the same. Hope it should have been understood..!

Ashvini September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Hi Aswani,

Thanks for your comment.
I think as a manager you can really make a lot of difference in the team that you manage. That would give you enough clout within your organization.I think all negative things can be fought with performance and if it is consistent is very powerful tool. Motivate your team to achieve higher goals, I am sure no one would be able to ignore you.
Have a great day :)

Robert Benwell September 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

Nice article you got here.:-) On my part most employers seem to agree that good employees display qualities such as dependability, punctuality, initiative, a positive attitude toward the job, ability to get along well with others, flexibility, motivation, organization, and an ability to perform assigned duties. And most individuals preparing to enter the workforce would look at this list of expectations and find it reasonable.:-)

Adrienne September 8, 2011 at 2:51 am

Hey Ashvini,

Great topic Carolyn picked for you in this post. Ah, I remember the days!

I was the employee who always volunteered for extra jobs or was trying to find ways to do certain jobs even better. I wasn’t really out to get a pat on the back so to speak but I just knew that there were some new tasks that they needed implementing and I thought I could do a much better job than some of the other employees. Plus, I just love to learn new things. Made the job not so boring. Oh, and that looked really good on your resume too!

All great suggestions my friend and worth taking note of in today’s world. Especially for those who still have a job and want to keep it! :-)

Thanks for the post.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

From your helping and enterprising nature, I am sure that you would have done wonderful things. I am also sure that you became bigger for your every role because of your nature to push boundaries. I think you have successfully replicated the technique in blogging world too ( seeing from the amounts of comment you get per post ;) ). I think I have plenty to learn from your experience. Coming here and sharing your experience with us is the part of same learning , mentoring and helping nature. We all appreciate it :) .

Bryce Christiansen September 7, 2011 at 3:33 am

Great post, I’ll be sharing this on Twitter. I also found that a great way to get recognition is to always keep an ear out for priorities from your boss.

Often they give you a sense of freedom as to what tasks you work on at any given moment, but they will often tend to have a few projects they would love to have completed.

I try my best to complete a consistent flow of my bosses projects before my own so he feels heard and appreciated.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Hi Bryce,

I think you are using a very well balanced approach to your work. At one place you are really doing what is required by organization and another to your own things. But you got priorities right, the first thing is to finish the tasks give by boss so that he can feel good too. If he is happy, he will of course support you in your projects :)

Great perspective my friend :) Always love to hear from you :)
Thanks and best regards,