Tips to improve employee productivity – Part 2

by Ashvini on November 23, 2011 · 14 comments

in General

Continuing from the post Tips to improve employee productivity – Part 1.

Improving office productivity tip #6: Adopt fair remuneration and promotion policies

Salary may be essential but it not the topmost motivating factor for an employee.

Herzberg in his experiment pointed out that money is a hygiene factor. Lack of it causes job dissatisfaction but presence of salary does not by itself creates satisfaction. Read here.

But policies which cause salary imbalance in the short term may result in long term motivational issues. Besides that, non objective promotions are a no-go. Objective feedback from superiors, customers, peers, juniors etc is often a moral booster.

Improving office productivity tip #7: Provide tools to help their job easier

To perform in her job a team member needs right software and hardware. In the times of cost cutting however, companies shy away from providing tools that increase productivity and automate a number of . New tools often automate time consuming tasks and increase productivity.

Its better to purchase them earlier than later. After all its your company’s business time that is saved.

Improving office productivity tip #8: Empower them to make decisions

There is one very interesting incident narrated at Bill’s blog about how empowered employees at a pizza joint converted troubled customers into happy ones. At another place, the employees barely bothered.

Employees with more freedom to deal with customers do a better job. They add reputation to your business. If they know that they are empowered to take decisions, they will not hesitate to take them.

Improving office productivity tip #9: Allow them to question management decisions

At General Electric employees are free to question their managers.

Many managers will shudder at the thought of their juniors questioning them. However,workplaces open to employee expressions (suggestions/complaints/feedback) are generally more productive. Employees take ownership and have higher productivity.

Improving office productivity tip #10: Develop and spread best practices across the organization

Spread best practices adopted or created by one team all across the organization.

I hope you liked the articles on improving employee productivity.a What additional ways, we can improve it ? Do comment below.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Andreia Oliver January 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

There are different ways and strategy in order to improve employee’s productivity. There are also different productivity tools that can help you improve productivity. However, it is depends on what we need most and on how we handle those distractions. I manage to stay focus and be productive with the help of a time management tool that keeps track of time accurately on different tasks. Using this tool I list my entire tasks on it and organize it depends on priority level. Another is I set an amount of time to do each task so that I won’t waste time. It won’t be also a success to follow tasks on schedule and finish it on time without self discipline. It is my key to effectively improve productivity at work.

Sonia December 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Letting employees manage their own time, make sound decisions and get it done is crucial to any business success. With my job, they don’t micro-manage us and give us the responsibility to just get it done. The proof is in the pudding, as my boss sometimes say and he is right. It’s one thing to let employees do their own thing, but if the results don’t add up then you know who was screwing off and not working.

Jobs I use to have are a distant memory because the managers felt they “lacked” so tried to micro-manage others in the process. That creates a hostile environment and people in their 40′s don’t like being told what to do by some 20 year old kid.

Sonia’s latest article :Why What You Were Taught About Life Is Wrong (And How To Fix It)

Ashvini December 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Hey Sonia,

I really do not like Micro managing . If there is an employee who needs help, probably micro managing helps but over all it is not a great management strategy. It creates a kind of hide and sneak environment where people are more interested in what they present to management rather than adding value.
Thanks for your comment :)

Daria Steigman November 30, 2011 at 7:56 pm

This is an awesome list (all 10) that companies would be wise to take to heart. What I love about your approach is that you approach this from an employee-centric perspective. If you make people happy, reward them with pay/benefits, trust, and opportunity, and enable them to have a voice then they will be more productive and so with your business.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Hey Daria,
Glad to see you here once again. I am really happy that you liked these points. I am sure that these things do not cost much money. I wish companies take notice and implement them in their everyday work :).

Adrienne November 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Ah, all great tips Ashvini. I definitely agree with them all.

I will say that salary is very important I won’t lie. But just being recognized for a job well done can go even further. That’s so very important to the office moral.

I also agree with #8, let them make decisions. I enjoyed Jens guest post over at Bill’s place too. I also saw a commercial not long ago where the employees are able to make the decisions and not always run to a manager. It made them feel much more important and were able to enjoy their jobs more. I thought that’s how it should be.

But I also agree that it helps to have a decent manager who is good with employees. I’ve had my share that admitted being horrible at that. They were thrown in to a position they didn’t want but had to accept it none the less.

Great tips though..

Ashvini Kumar Saxena November 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hey Adrienne,
The manager culture especially here in corporate India is a big problem. A manager’s job should be to manage thats it. But here managers often start behaving like parents , where things go a little ugly. I have seen a number of great technology professionals not wanting to become managers but they had to because there was only one way to go to the top. It is very frustrating and it does not make any sense.

Hope companies understand it for better.
Thanks for your wonderful comment :) .

Max M November 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm

The greatest tip here is to let employees take decisions which really works and brings responsibility and pleasure in work. Employees feel that they are part of the big machine and that they bring benefit for the company.

Adam Paudyal November 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Another great set of tips there my friend.

Salary sure is the most motivating factor..no doubt about that. I call tell you it is true from my own experience (O:

I really like tip #8. That is definitely going to change the whole perspective Ash!

Talk to ya later BUD!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena November 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

Thanks Adam for your insight on the post. Salary is one of the important factor but after a certain point it cease to be . Other things take over after that(self actualization by Maslow)

Aswani November 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Ashvini, great post and I think I have already spoken on the same thing in your last post. Adding more to it, you know I don’t know about others but I can be more productive if I am allowed to work with more freedom and this freedom is more about decision making which I have often been into conflict with my Head. Initially I was told to work and make decision without consulting anyone but later, it all changed. I don’t know why…maybe there is a grave threat when you begin to trust your employees blindly for anything…What say ??

Aswani’s latest article :10 Tips for More Creative Blogging

Ashvini Kumar Saxena November 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

The best thing in my opinion is to trust and verify before you hand over the responsibility. I think somewhere things might not have been favorable to you.But that need not stop you from learning and accepting more responsibility. If you do it well, I am sure everything will come back to you :)

Aswani November 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Cristian Balau November 25, 2011 at 1:09 am

Well, make sure the employees are managed by a decent boss. Not anyone ca be a leader and some bosses are really a pain in the ass no matter how you look at it. Productivity in general will be improved if the right man in charge.