Employees:Right attitude is your strongest skill

by Ashvini on December 1, 2011 · 10 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

A mall is the best place to study about a lot of business aspects. There are shops and stores, where employees take a lot of care to engage you as a customer. Then, there are places where they don’t even care to look at you. They are probably not enough motivated to give their best.

I would fault their employers for not motivating, training and not paying them enough to become customer friendly . But a part of the fault also rests with employees.

I have often seen employees take the job and then do not develop “attitude” to be their best. No organization can train for the attitude needed for a job. It comes from the employee. For e.g. they can train employees about the methods of selling but then its up to the employees to put it to practice. No organization can train for customer care. Employee either has it or don’t.

However, nothing  stops the employees from understanding the products they are selling. Nothing stops them from pitching up-sell( for example a more costlier product), down-sell( a lesser costlier product)  or cross-sell. They do not need motivation classes to help them  listen to customers. Nothing stops them from being the best.

Miracles won’t happen because customers suddenly start purchasing. Miracles happen because employees try to understand customer needs.

If they don’t do the job more than what is necessary, can they ask for higher salary? If they don’t attract repeat customers, how will they have a track record to show? Their CV will probably look like a listing of jobs and months in each of them.

To get noticed is to work on the boundary, on the edges. To get noticed is to get customers attention and then to give them what they want.

As an employee you might not get your due in the present job but I am sure management will not be happy to let you go. If you join another organization, I am sure your reputation would have already reached the new employer.

Right attitude gives a kind of confidence in your own abilities. It also helps you to take more responsibilities. Attitude cannot be taught or trained, it is either  inborn or slowly cultivated with time. However it may one of the most powerful skill in your resume .

Veronica Cervera January 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Most of the time, employee problems are their attitude, not their performance. Some accomplishes the tasks but only after hearing some negative comments. It’s that positive attitude that counts.

Max M December 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I strongly believe that attitutude is inborn and you either have it not don’t have it at all and it is impossible to cultivate it. Sorry but I doubt it as I have never seen people with cultivated attitude. If you are a boss, it is better to select the people with the kind of attitude you want them to have.

Adrienne December 6, 2011 at 12:07 am

I had lunch with my step-son and his wife this past weekend Ashvini. She was telling me about how all the customers where she worked wanted her to wait on them because she always had such a bubbly personality and she really did want to help them locate what they wanted. She catered to their needs not necessarily what the store wanted her to sell.

She is the prefect example of having a good attitude when you walk in the door because your customers will appreciate your attitude and their service experience will be much more pleasant. I think for most companies, this is what they would prefer seeing in their employees and it sure can benefit you in the raise department.

I know not all companies are like that but let’s face it. Wouldn’t you be much happier if you went to work with a good attitude then a bad one? I know that’s the type of person I would rather have wait on me. I’m just saying! :-)

I appreciate this post. Great job! Now, have a wonderful week okay!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Hey Adrienne,
I believe there are a very few organizations which really bother promoting great employees. However I have always felt on a personal level that I should give my best to my job . I have always received appreciation from my managers even though I did not stay in the organizations. Being right attitude opens up a lot of door and makes us much more confident of our own capabilities.
If I were running a business, I would be looking out for employees like your step- son’s wife. They are true employees in all sense and I would do whatever they could so that they stay with me . What is an organization without great employees ? Just machines and machines don’t invent or keep customer’s happy
Thank you for your comment and example in support of my argument . Really appreciate

Aswani December 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Perfect…my friend. Attitude is everything. And I am glad I am filled with the same…Positive Attitude, it is. It was never easy to have the same but I have learned it with time and it is really helping me out in every situations of my life. I just wished I could see the same in my team which looks deprived of the same at present but nevertheless I am here to make things happen and hopefully, it should work finally. The biggest shortcoming which I find in my team is lack of enthusiasm to take up any task and finish it in the allotted time. Attitude seems to be right but energy level is missing. This maybe because of the fact that they are already being offered better compensation without being really made to work hard for anything…so, why should they put extra efforts for anything..!! Typical Indian Mindset…Isn’t it ? Anyways, let’s hope things change in a positive way and finally, right attitude is shown towards each and everything so that it all goes well in the end…!

Chris Barba December 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Hey Ashvini!

What a great example with malls. Especially with the holiday season upon us. I have been in stores where the employees want nothing to do with me and then I have been in stores where the employees attitude creates the energetic environment that I feel comfortable and excited to be in. I’ve also thought to myself, “wow, how cool it must be to work there.”

Thinking back after reading your post, it all came down to attitude. That is definitely the golden nugget to business and life for that matter!

Bill Dorman December 1, 2011 at 8:18 pm

You definitely want to hire the right attitude that fits with your culture. It is way to hard to try to ‘train’ for the right culture if you didn’t make the right hire in the first place.

The challenge in the service industry is you are bringing people in at minimum wage and it truly is just a job to them. Sometimes you just need bodies and can’t take a long time to weed through a 100 applicants for just the right fit.

But you are right, attitude is everything.

Ashvini December 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your comment and insights on the topic.
I agree with you that sometimes you just need bodies. Having worked in service industry for a long time I have seen this.
I just wonder what happens when business gets commoditized and bodies just don’t help. At that time companies really need to get the right hire . But the image they have cultivated for a long time lasts with them forever.

Hope you are having a great day :)

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech December 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Ashvini, I believe this 100%! I would much rather hire someone with fewer skills but a stellar attitude than someone who is an expert in the field with a bad attitude.

Your mall analogy is spot on. If you go to a mall you will see the most crowded store is an Apple Store. That store is generally packed with customers no matter what time of day. But the store is also packed with skilled, helpful employees who know their products and are eager to help.

In these economic times, employers need workers who will be dedicated to their jobs. Employees should take note.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Hey Carolyn,

Once I took my Samsung tab to Apple shop I wanted a speaker for that. Normally they should have looked at it with scorn but turned out to be the coolest people. They showed me all the options without a problem. I really liked the attitude and it made me a fan of theirs :).
Thanks for the example and your comment :)