Finding a great employee

by Ashvini on January 4, 2012 · 10 comments

in General,My Personal Thoughts

Jack Welch often carried his business card in pocket so that he could give it to an outstanding employee he met in the workplaces, his company did not own.

Business owners often wonder where they can find a great employee without going through the pain of hiring and then waiting for him/her to turn into a great employee.

Recently at a coffee shop I encountered an outstanding employee.

My wife and I ordered breakfast from the menu even though it was slightly late for it. The employee serving us told that it was not available. “Fine” . We said and got up from our seat. As we were about to leave, she said that she will check with the chef. She came back looking slightly said. I am sure chef said no to her request.

We got up again to leave. She hesitated and asked us for wait for a moment and apologized for it. She went back and you could hear her arguing with the chef. This time she came back smiling.

She clinched the deal.

We got our breakfast, she got her customer’s satisfaction and the company got the money.

If I were Jack Welch(or even had the capacity to employ people), I would have handed her my card instantly and asked her to join my company. No matter that I had to pay her bigger salary, I would want such an employee on my business rolls.

It is easy to find great employees, they are all around you .

Mark May 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Wow Ashvini!

That idea of Jack Welch’s is simply fabulous! And so
incredibly “think outside the box” creative!

As simple and practical as it is, had you not shared it, it would have never occurred to me! Thank you so much for sharing it.

And your encounter with a “take no prisoners” kind of customer service inspired employee, just goes to show it really doesn’t matter what someone does for a living.

Because they can still have the successful entrepreneurs mindset! thanks for sharing Jack’s incredibly creative idea!

Chrysta Bairre January 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

This is such a great idea and it truly shows the importance of networking in professional success. We have the opportunity to meet new people every day and we get to choose if we will make a consciously positive or unconsciously negative impact on those we meet. I choose a consciously positive impact because it feels good to be kind and because you never know if someone you meet will one day be a potential employee, employer, vendor or customer.

Have a grateful day!

Chrysta

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hi Chrysta,

I see these kind of self-motivated employees everywhere. Since we frequent malls and coffee shops( which is retail world) we have more chance of meeting such employees there.
However I am sure we can find them in every company. That they talk nicely to customer and have a great impact on them is really good for business.

thanks for your comment . Its always great to hear from you.

Aswani January 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hmm…interesting ! Yes…I agree great employees are around you…just need to have a better look at them ;-)

Bill Dorman January 5, 2012 at 2:56 am

It is rare but if some of these people in the service industry would just put themselves in the customers shoes; there might be a little more common sense applied. Unfortunately with minimum wage employees, most don’t really care.

Good insight sir, hope all is well.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Hey Bill,
Thank you for your comment :). I think employees need to develop the right attitude because someone might be impressed by them.
All’s good. See you at your blog soon :)

Daria Steigman January 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

What a terrific idea, and a great practical case study. Someone ought to hire her to manage their restaurant as she clearly “gets it.” In the meantime, this coffee shop ought to thank her not just for keeping business in-house but also for the number of people you and your wife are probably telling the story to–perhaps bringing the place new customers in the process.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hi Daria,
Yes, we are talking about her everywhere we can. The coffee chain is also a great place because I have seen employees happy over there. I guess they must be doing something right :)

Simon Duck January 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hi,

It’s nice to see an employee really giving a damn about the customers, it’s hard to see that most of the time these days, especially in these kind of outlets. I’m not saying they are worse, it is just that much of time they aren’t fully devoted to the job.

This person obviously was and either cared a lot for you the customer, or had a business mind and knew that these people would make the company money, despite it not being the right time of day for that meal. Or of course, she had both.

Regards,
Simon Duck

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi Simon,
Thanks for dropping by and commenting
I like this coffee shop because it is a great place to hang out. The service is fairly good but of late has been slipping. This employee was remarkable because she went out of her way to serve the customer. It is really rare . I think we would go there again and hopefully get the same service. After all , both of us( the chain and me) need each other :)
Have a great day