A lot of my young friends have been complaining recently about lack of support for their business. Their families and friends are goading them to leave their established or yet to be established small business(which may be earning a good amount of money) and join a “regular job”.
These guys are mostly college graduate and started their own businesses (such as blogging or e commerce sites) while studying. They did not secure a job offer because probably they were not interested to work as an employee. However it may is difficult for them, when their friends are get job offers while they continue to struggle with their business.
Jobs are easier to explain
The families and parents of entrepreneurs are biased mostly towards job. The entrepreneur’s family always wants him or her to take the safer, known route. A job is much easier to explain to others. It is easier for them to tell it to their friends that their son/daughter is employed with a multinational corporation and earns a lot of salary. Often the budding entrepreneur is left alone to justify why he is working on his own.
I had talked about the difference between job and entrepreneurship. I am not really saying that one should not seek a job. A person needs to follow his or her passion. All experiences good or bad are very much part of life. It is immaterial, if one may have failed as an entrepreneur or succeeded in a job . The lessons from any experience are important.
But since I love to encourage entrepreneurship, I would say that it is one of the most exciting and fulfilling thing that can happen to a person. Entrepreneurs are known to take risks and end up creating things that no one thought were possible. Entrepreneurs generate thousands of jobs all around the world. They bring out inefficiencies present in business processes and then exploit them to generate incredible wealth.
Here is what entrepreneur can achieve
- High level of self esteem
- A business to call their own
- No stress of reporting to any other person
- Diverse skill set
- No need to worry about a job even in times of recession
- Possibility of much higher earnings
- High level of satisfaction with work
All this is only possible if the families of the entrepreneur support them. As with success in career, it is often hard to be get success easily in your own business. Parents need to be supportive of their child at those difficult times. Work satisfaction is the most important thing at the workplace. If the young entrepreneur derives satisfaction from his work, it is just great. As a parent you need to be proud to say that your child is an entrepreneur and that he earns his own money.
A few tips to young entrepreneurs
- Keep your family updated about progress of your business
- Sometimes family members really don’t know what you are doing. Explain to them clearly your business.
- You may think about taking part time offers
- Tell them about possibilities that can happen. Talk about growth , opening your own offices, becoming famous. That will excite them for sure.
- Involve them in your business if possible. Give them small jobs which will help them understand your business
- Take them to business conferences with you. Your parents are worried about your lack of seriousness. Show them you are serious
- Reinforce the point that you love working for yourself.
- Call your entrepreneur friends home. Let them do a little bit of talking.
- Keep documents to show them what you have planned. Create a slideshow or a small presentation ( yes, even for your family )
- Show them appreciation letters from your customers.
- Most important – > Send them to this blog. Ask them to read this post.