What does it take to become truly successful?

by Ashvini on May 23, 2012 · 12 comments

in Motivation

Success in entrepreneurship rarely goes from point A to point B in a straight line. In fact it always goes in incredibly meandering ways like a river does when it travels from top of mountain to the seas.

True success

Entrepreneurship plans rarely achieve exactly what they set out to do . Why ? because entrepreneurship by its nature is full of risks inherent in it. These risks rarely allow an entrepreneur just attain success in a matter of small time. Instead the journey is torturous , full of pitfalls and failures.

Here are a few factors that every entrepreneur needs to overcome

1. Financial constraints
  2. Uncertainty of revenue
  3. Lack of acceptance of his idea
  4. Timing of product launch ( too early or too late)
  5. Pressure to make money fast

These factors lead to a  lot of chaos in life of an ordinary entrepreneur. The obvious answer is to run towards safe job, doing what everyone does. However if you are not the one,  here are a few strategies from some really successful people I know( not only in money terms).

1. Make best of the situation as it is right now
  2. Be flexible like a river . Go around obstacles.
  3. Cut slowly like a river: Not to be afraid of the grind or the grunt work
  4. Develop desire to reach goal any which way( like a river does)
  5. Network and make friends in industry you operate in
  6. Develop patience to see your endeavors through
  7. Be inspirational even in tough times
  8. Listening to feedback and making changes along the way
  9. High level of commitment to customers
  10. Helping attitude over salesmanship
  11. Adequate planning but also making fast decisions
  12. Handling limited finances deftly
  13. Concentration on quality
  14. Hard work and smart work both.
  15. Work through the perceived lack of progress.
  16. Do not put a clock on success.

Do you have any other quality of successful people? Would you like to share them with us?

Image(s): FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Jeevanjacobjohn May 31, 2012 at 2:11 am

You are a real pro on this topic, aren’t you Ashvini?

Truly successful – Ah, yes. Achieving success the way we want it.

I think it all comes down to our attitude: Keep an optimistic attitude – Work hard – distribute the efforts over time, instead of spending all of them at once , be wise not smart, be confident – but not too much, be motivated to work, be patient and impatient – for both of these can motivate us to take more action, be ready to try again, to try something new and even quit (Sometimes quitting and trying something else is the best way to go – best for efficiency, best for saving time).

Thank you for the awesome post, Ashvini!

Jeevan

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 31, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hey Jeevan,

It feels great when you like the post:).
I totally agree that its about attitude. The attitude can be inborn or carefully cultivated. It is important to have right attitude. Also business may work or close down, we have to keep going. This is the fun part of being an entrepreneur.
You have clearly summarized all things very well :)

Adrienne May 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Ah Ashvini!!!

Does anything ever go as planned? So far I know that the journey is what I’ve been enjoying the most and I’ve come to understand that when things don’t work out as we had planned that just means there’s either a better way to do it or something better is in store.

Great list that you’ve shared plus I saw your reply to Lisa’s comment. Thanks my friend! ;-)

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

There is so much to learn from you and I am sure everyone at your blog and mine are doing that. It was you who told me about the “not putting a clock to success” and I said to myself, why not use it here:).

Thanks for all your great suggestions :)

Aswani May 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hi Ashvini

Great Post once again. Your points are spot on. Any budding entrepreneur should follow the same to be successful in his life. Keep writing. Cheers !!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks buddy. Your appreciation is really helpful to me :)

Jens P. Berget May 27, 2012 at 4:18 am

Great list. I especially feel the pressure to make money fast. This pressure is challenging when it comes to planning for long-term success, and that’s what I’m always doing.

By the way, can you recommend a few books on entrepreneurship?

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Hi Jens,

I have read some books on Management and economy. I would recommend Richard Branson’s books if you are exactly looking for entrepreneurship. Here is a list prepared by me for you to check out. I will add more to it soon :). http://aks-blog.com/recommendations/

Lisa May 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm

#16 took me by surprise. and the first #1 is challenging. Very nice list and made me really stop and think. Thanks for sharing.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi Lisa,

I was told #16 this once by Adrienne and since it was a compilation of some of the great stories, I thought it to put it here.
as for #1, Entrepreneurs often do not have the best of situations for them and hence they need to make the best out of the situation they are in. I wrote about it here

Lori Gosselin May 24, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This is a great list Ashvini! It should be read at the convocation ceremonies going on these days! Barring that, I’m sharing it!
Lori

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hi Lori,

Thank you for comment and sharing this :). Please use it as you may like :)