Your employees are your loyal customers and brand ambassadors

by Ashvini on May 30, 2012 · 6 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

Companies and entrepreneurs spend a lot of money advertising their wares, with often mixed results. Often the purpose of such advertisements is to increase the mind-share of the customers. The objective is to win the customer’s trust and to sell the business concept’s to them.

Employees brand ambassadors

There is often an ignored side of any business that is already “sold to” and probably talk about your business more than anyone else. They are your employees. Employees are your “customers” who will not need any advertising dollar to be spent to be converted. Why is that so?

#1 : They already work with you

They spend their large part of lives in your office. There could be two reason they choose to do so

a) they find working at your place worth it

b) probably they can’t( or don’t want to ) find job anywhere else ;)

I am positive that most employees fall in ( a ) category. They enjoy working at your place that is why they are sticking with you

#2: They are selling products that your company makes

Its really hard to sell products that your employees don’t believe in. Sure they could sell lousy products but in the long run it will not be all good. Employees who have a long association and feel proud about working often sell more than others.

#3: They explain your business to their family and friends

At one of the company I worked at, it was hard to explain about the product because it was quite technical. However it did not stop me talking to my friends , families and relative about it. It was not easy to make them understand but they learned something new and enjoyed it. I was thus able to extend the reach of the brand. I am sure other employees are happy to talk about the place they work in and don’t mind a little “show-off”.

#4: They talk about your products to prospects and future customers

Nothing is like an employee confident about his company he is working at. When an employee invested in your product speaks to customers, vendors and everyone else, it is from his/her knowledge and not from a written script. This helps a lot in raising the brand value.

#5: They get the feedback for you

Usually employees are the first to know if there is anything wrong or right with the product. If your company is open to feedback, you will get it from your employees. You may use this to improve your product.

#6: They might become buyers

If your employees like your product and they can afford them, they will be the most willing buyers. They will do it repeatedly because they believe in it.

It is really hard to ignore such a great customer segment. You may do so at your own peril.

What do you feel about this theory? Let me know in the comments below.

Free images from FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Aswani June 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hi Ashvini, interesting article. Its been the very same case here but honestly, nothing matters for them. Its like hope against hopelessness. Anyways, thanks for a nice read…!!

Adrienne June 4, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I agree for the most part Ashvini but a lot of the places I worked, I was never a customer.

I worked in real estate for a couple different companies. One owned and managed apartments and townhomes and then one bought and sold commercial raw land. Another company I worked for was in cattle, another was insurance brokerage for large companies. Kind of hard to be our best customer so a lot of times I can’t really relate because we all haven’t worked for Apple, Best Buy or any other service oriented company.

I would hope though that no matter what business you do work for that you believe in the product the company is offering and aren’t just there for the pay check. I have to admit that most of the companies I did work for I did believe in the product.

I know, I’m not the norm but you already knew that. ;-)

Sonia June 1, 2012 at 8:33 am

Your employees are your best customer. Case in point: Apple. I have a few friends that work there and they say, that their co-workers truly believe in what they do. They work very hard to build the products we all love, but they love them more. When your employees understand the “why” so will your customers. It’s one thing to market your products, but if there isn’t a “why” and belief about what you do it’s pointless.

I won’t buy a product from a company that doesn’t believe in their products and neither would anyone else. The company I work for now, has employees that believe in what they do and it shows in our customers enthusiastic approach to testimonials, and what they participate in to help deliver our message to new prospects. It’s a win-win for both them and us. Why? Because we believe in our product.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Very well said … nothing to add to it :)

JanB June 1, 2012 at 1:05 am

As an business owner you could – and most employers do that – grant your personnel certain benefits, like a discount on the products you are selling. Most workers in the car industry drive the brand of car they are making. They ‘sell’ the product in that way.
If you would work for a company you have to feel ‘at home’. Endorse the product out of free will. Like you said, your work-force is a group of great value to your company and as an employer you have to make them feel that they are valuable.
It works both ways. Motivated workers equals more income. Both for the company as the worker.

// Jan

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Jan,

I have seen that employees are more ethical when they are treated right by the companies. They even go out and talk about what they are doing, if they feel proud of their workplace. It is now dependent on companies, how they are willing to engage them.

Thanks for your comment :) and have a great day :)