Employees leave and go to work at other places. That means that they also take a certain amount of certainty that your customer expects from you.
A new employee may take old employee’s place. However what cannot be totally replaced is the fact that the customer has developed a certain way of dealing with your organization. If you go at a restaurant often, you will probably know how the restaurant works.You know what you like or dislike about it. You make an assumption and then go with it.
Unfortunately things don’t stay the same. A new employee who has replaced old one is probably not aware of the routine that you are used to. You may thus feel a loss of connection to the place . People often complain about a shop or restaurant “the place is not like before”. The situation may lead to business losses. A long time customer may now be thinking of moving to someplace else.
These are following ways to handle this
1. Do not provide any special experience at the start itself. ( A recipe for business downfall)
2. Provide good services. By doing this you have set the bar for yourself.You may never be able to go back on reducing any experience without losing customer’s confidence.
3. Whenever an employee who is in-charge of customer care is about to leave, the one replacing him needs to be trained to take his place. The transition needs to be seamless.
Hotels in India in the time of recession , cut down on complimentary breakfast for customer staying with them. As a result cost conscious public started avoiding breakfast preferring breakfast in room or completely skipping it. On the downside,the customers never learned about restaurant in hotels. The hotels lost on the revenue and customers lost on hotel experience.
Customers do not like the shock of loss of good experiences they are familiar with , even in times of recession. Once you have set the bar you have to keep it that way. If you cannot do that for any reason, you have to be prepared for dealing with unpleasant outcomes. If you wonder why passengers hate airlines with full gusto, you know the reason now.
Free images from FreeDigitalPhotos.net
What to do next ?
- Explore the archives
- Share this post using the share buttons
- Subscribe to mailing list