There is a huge science in behind Fractals. Fractals are patterns that get formed from a single line or point into something totally recognizable. For e.g. shape of a leaf or an island or even a living insect. Fractals are something that grow from a very small object( usually a point or a line) and then evolve into something that serves a purpose .
A fantastic example of how a fractal becomes a huge object is shown at http://library.thinkquest.org/26242/full/ where just converting a line into a rectangle and repeating the process leads to formation of a giant square. It is a huge subject which involves intensive study of mathematics and patterns. Look at this for an interesting idea http://library.thinkquest.org/26242/full/tutorial/ch8.html.
A business house in India started with founder with just a modest start. Building business step by step and by forming and cementing relationship with their customers, they build the business organically and within three generation they were able to make a billion dollar empire. Most of the giants today anywhere in the world have been able to achieve such a success only with patience and slow growth.
Most of the businesses
- often start with a really modest plan.
- They serve a single customer for years before they get another one.
- They build their business organically by slow and steady expansion
- They do not venture out of their core strengths in a jiffy ( reminds me of the fact that when a business loses focus, it starts spending money like crazy on unrelated things. Haven’t you seen such businesses).
- They expand only when they can, not because they feel they should.
- They value relationship with their customers and build on their reputation.
- They build on what they know ( Rinse and repeat successful strategies)
- Competition shapes up their strategy but customer focus is more important to them.
These opinions may not reflect the fact that there are external funded business that scale up rapidly. However for a number of businesses who do not ( or cannot ) rely on external funding often need to do it this way. Even with external funding the fundamental principles of business do not go away.
Like Fractals they have to take the organic way of growth, building steadily and around a common vision.
If you write a book , you probably know how to start. You don’t have to know everything about book to write it in a short time rather, you can do it fractals way. Click on this link for an awesome explanation. (http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php). If you want to write a large software, you need to start somewhere and then grow it from there.