Loudness may be not the best way to attract customers

by Ashvini on July 18, 2012 · 11 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

Despite a general restriction on the telemarketing calls , I sometimes receive calls from telemarketers. It is now far better than those days when calls flooded my and every one else’s cell phones. It was a rumor that once even India’s top politician got a call asking him to avail of a home loan. It must have been quite hilarious.

The marketers and advertisers take delight in how loud they can be. They believe being loud makes people listen to them . Once, I saw a movie ad on the floors of a mall. If you were walking , you would not miss the ads. The movie fell flat on its face.

On the other hand, movies like the “Dark Night Rises” are eagerly awaited, years after the the announcement of start of their making.

Saturation happens when there are many loud voices which becomes a cacophony. The only thing customer would want to do then is to  look the other away. Mass advertising is like shooting in all the directions, hoping for a hit. Most of the time it fails to work. The reason are obvious, a) too many messages b) too much loudness. Social media and emails are new ways to connect with your customers. Companies can personalize messages, increase interaction but  end up flooding personal spaces by saying too much. They might still get  a few customers but then that crowd is steadily declining.

When there is something new to offer, you would like to say it as loudly as possible because that is the only way to get attention. However, remember, it is getting difficult everyday to get the attention. Instead the companies that connect with customers and delivers things as promised get all the attention. In my case, the telemarketer rarely gets my time beyond initial introduction. ( I got a telemarketer’s call while writing this post ).

Aswani July 27, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hi Ashvini…great writeup. I was caught by the title of the post and I really enjoyed reading it. Yes…I agree loudness never pays off. Infact, it is waste of one’s time and energy. I too have been haunted by these things in the past. It hasn’t stopped still but has grown less in recent times. Most of the times, these are banks and I am really fed up saying that I do not need any policies at present. I am happy with one…please leave me alone..!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hi Aswani,

I could never really get the telemarketers idea of getting customers. I am sure they are indeed getting a few , otherwise why would they call us. I hardly listen to them because all the time , they are trying to sell me something generic, without ever checking with me about my specific requirements.
They never get business from me :).

Thanks for your comment and great to see you here.

Radu July 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I know that is not totally related but i hate when i receive phonecalls from my telephone operator telemarketers. They are crazy, i hate when they insist that much even when you clearly specify them that you don’t need extra services!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Hi Radu,

Yes they are annoying as hell. I have a feeling that they keep the scorecard about how much ready you are to buy their products. I never talk to them to let them score me ;)

Jeevan Jacob John July 25, 2012 at 12:36 am

Hey Ashvini,

Don’t know whether this comment will pass through (I had left a comment for this post few days ago, but got a cloud flare error, I did notify you via Twitter).

Anyways, I agree with you. Mass promotion isn’t the solution, we must identify our target audience, where they spend their time and use that to promote our product (For instance: If our target audience is bloggers, we need to work on advertising and writing on blogs).

Dark Knight is an awesome example – the producers and distributors did their own marketing (I noticed that they had special offers for many products in general shops here – great way to promote the movie).

Thank you for the post, Ashivini!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hey Jeevan,

I would buy every Rock music memorabilia that I can lay my hands on, even though I might have no money. It is the kind of my loyalty towards things I like. I am a repeat buyer and I don’t care about money at least where my hobby is concerned. It is hard to find such a buyer but even then often companies pay scant regards to him/her. The race to acquire more customers is really not a winning race. To keep the customers coming back is more important. That is where mass media has really no effect except for the first time for example to get attention.

Thanks for your comment. Really appreciate.

Adrienne July 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I don’t know if I necessarily look at this as who is being the “loudest” per se… I understand that marketing depends on getting your information in front of your customers several different times before they normally will buy. I also know that a lot of big business are very extravagant with their advertising as well.

It’s really hard to miss but I think you have to be interested in that as well which is just my point of view. A lot of time I’m not, I admit. But great examples you shared here about why throwing things in our face like this in a big way is not always the best.

Enjoy this post and hope you enjoy your week Ashvini. Always a pleasure to see you.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Very right. Mass marketing may be important to get attention. The only people who are going to listen to the messages are the ones interested in them. Rest of us are going to ignore them anyway( it is not possible humanely to pay attention to what everyone is advertising). In my opinion , businesses which have good cash with them can always invest in the systems that can help them fine tune their target market. Also once they get those customers, their attention should be primarily to make these customers buy repeatedly. I have rarely seen that happening. There is rush to get as many customers as possible in the fold.

Thus it is like shooting everywhere and hoping it hits someone. The accuracy is never there in that case.

Thank you Adrienne for your thoughts. I really appreciate it :).

Aarti July 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

I’m too quite similar to you, I hardly heard any offer from any telemarketer. Now a days users are quite intelligent and knows what is best for them. You can’t impress them as easily as it used to be earlier. I think that’s the reason why businesses are giving so much focus on social networking sites interaction. It not only gives you good opportunity for exposure plus you can build trust among your audience.

JanB July 20, 2012 at 1:59 am

Sounds all legit, but in the example of ‘Dark Knight Rises’ the new movie was a sequel of earlier movies.So in a way it was depending heavily on the success of the previous ones. That’s how the bigger companies work.
Microsoft has a reputation about doing that. Windows 3.11, 95, NT, XP, Seven and now eight. They lean on their predecessors for success. The funny part is, the public let them get away with just about anything. Windows 8 demo was a disaster, but mark my words… Microsoft will get away with that and make big money… Again…

Ashvini Kumar Saxena July 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi Jan,

You are right. Dark night has a history because it started well, with a product that was outstanding. Pirates of the Caribbean lost the plot later on. I think with MS we don’t have much of a choice. They still rule the PCs. However for smaller entrepreneurs the best way to succeed is avoid loudness and work with customers on one to one basis. Advertising is too costly and it does not make that much impact as it used to.