Eight sources for entrepreneurs to learn from, about business

by Ashvini on August 2, 2012 · 13 comments

in Business

The most important characteristic of an entrepreneur is the ability to adapt. The entrepreneur often works with fewer resources . Thus flexibility and adaptability are a must in order to leverage limited resources.

Learning about business

One of the ways to increase flexibility is to get new information/skills and utilize them to strategize their business . By constantly being in the learning mode, the entrepreneur  is ahead of the curve.  Getting knowledge in time allows him/her to spot opportunities in advance and also make changes to business whenever necessary. How one gets knowledge that is useful without spending a fortune on costly courses?

Here are a few sources, I feel you as an entrepreneurs can learn from

1. From your mentors:

Consider yourself lucky, if you have got a mentor to guide you on the tricky terrain of business. A mentor often has a lot of experience in the industry and he can analyze it to a greater extent. A good mentor can always help you sharpen your business focus. If you don’t have a mentor, its better to find one soon and start learning from him.

2. From your friends in the industry:

I recently created a new software that can be incorporated in a content management system. I got the idea from one of my friend Carolyn from wonderoftech, who is a great tech blogger herself. She needed a system that could help her with putting social media share icons on her blog. Based on her input, I was able to create that software . Friends in the industry often can act as great source of information.

3. From the web:

Web is an place where you can get answers to your questions by searching and interacting. I often use a number of websites to get great business ideas because there is a wealth of information available on them.

4. From books:

If you want quick answers, you turn to web. If you want in depth answers , you turn to books. Books by leaders in the industry often help to learn about the best practices of your industry.

5. From your competitors:

Whether be a website or a software, your competitors are always looking for ways to knock you down. Sometimes they know something that you probably are not aware of. In that case, by analyzing competition you can determine what works and what doesn’t. You learn from their mistakes and avoid them.

6. Seminars, video-cons and groups:

On internet there are a number of groups that cater to a lot of special interest groups. I am a member of various blogger groups where people exchange a lot of information about blogging. Often free seminars and video cons serve as excellent place for getting more information.

7. From your customers:

Your customers are the user of your product and services. They will regularly provide feedback. Sometimes they will also tell you about other products that they are evaluating. Always listen to them with a keen ear.

8. From your employees:

Your employees are the ones who are closest to the market and your customer. The employees should be encouraged to provide strategic information which can be utilized in improving your product for example.

So there you go. Gaining new information need not be costly and often it is available from multiple resources around you.

What sources of information do you use to learn something new and keep yourself knowledgeable?

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

migisi August 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Points which you have mention are very important for the business. I am very happy to came across your blog because i am enjoying a lot with your post..
All are very useful post.. Thanks for sharing..

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

You are most welcome Migisi

Aayna August 22, 2012 at 7:59 am

Learning is an ongoing process, each and every event, person or experience provides some sort of learning to the person. An entrepreneur needs to look at myriad issues, so it becomes quite essential for him to be a learned man. The sources mentioned in the post are indeed great storehouse of knowledge. Competitors indeed provide a great deal of learning. Thanks for sharing such an informative share.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hi Aayna,

Thanks for your comment. I am glad that you liked my ideas . You are very right when you say that An entrepreneur needs to look at myriad issues, so it becomes quite essential for him to be a learned man..

Joy August 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I completely agree that learning is a process that should never end for anyone no matter how successful you’ve become. These are great and valuable suggestions that we will most definitely learn from. Thanks.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Joy,
Thanks for your comment and I am glad that you liked my suggestions :)

Kristine August 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I take every opportunity there is to learn, improve and share my knowledge to the best of my abilities. Thanks for this affirmation, I know that a lot of bloggers and entrepreneurs alike will benefit from this post.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for your comment. It is great that not only you learn yourself but also share your knowledge with others.

Richa August 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm

These are great sources for an entrepreneur to learn from. I agree that an entrepreneur surely has less of resources at hand and he has to get the best out of them. You can learn a little bit from everyone.

DiNaRa August 9, 2012 at 11:25 am

I can say that I am learning a lot from my friends and from the Internet as Internet is the best source right now to learn everything you wish there. As for the employees, we have some meetings regularly where we discuss potential plans for the future and it sometimes works and gives new boosts.

Carolyn | Wonder of Tech August 7, 2012 at 3:49 am

Hi Ashvini, Thank you kindly for the shoutout! This is a great list of resources. I get great ideas from my blog readers. They ask questions that others want to know the answers to. When I need answers, well, I just ask you!

Thanks for being a great resource, Ashvini!

Tanmay Sawant August 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Hey Thanks for the info about getting to learn about business.I would track down these sources and would try to learn lot and become an entrepreneur !!

Jeevan Jacob John August 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Sources of inspiration are just out there in the wild! (we need to find and use it appropriately to get the results).

We, bloggers and entrepreneurs only need to find those and use those to get ideas. I usually get ideas (For my blog posts) from other blogs and things I do and experience in life (Sometimes, I myself wonder in what I could teach my readers from a single experience I had).