A repeated grouse I hear is “I want to do something on my own but I do not have a great idea” .
I ask , do you have an idea which may not be great. The answer is still not forthcoming. Maybe there is no idea. Maybe there is a struggle to get an idea.
Getting the idea is not easy . To take it to the market and make it successful is no less easier. But it can be done.
Here is a very short guide to get an idea and making it work.
To get an idea
- Look at your job. Could something help you do it better? Would it be a tool? Would someone be willing to buy it?
- Look at your surroundings. Is there a problem that you can help solve? Is it commercially viable?
- Look at job boards: Where is the biggest market for skills?
- Look at freelancer sites: What is the hottest selling category?
- Look at blogs: What do they write about? Any clues from there?
- Look at children: Do you have something that can help them learn?
- Look at middle aged people: Do you have something that can help them enjoy their time?
- Look at supermarket shelf: Which are the fastest moving goods?
- Look at a community. Can you utilize its strength?
- Look at your friends : They might have one but do not have the willingness/time to work on it.
Then, find out
- What interests you?
- How can you address a pain?
- Can you invent something?
- Is it technically feasible?
- Do you have resources to sell it?
- Does it have a USP?
- Create a plan
- Get a team
- Get resources
- Create actual product
How do get your ideas and what have you done with them ?