Are you a great buyer?

by Ashvini on September 11, 2012 · 7 comments

in General

Suppliers are essential part of your business chain. A supplier that does not deliver as committed causes disruptions in your plan often leading to problem with your customers. A good way to get rid of such a supplier is to fire them and hire others who are more committed.

Even with contracts and everything in place, relationship between supplier and customer plays an important role.

Recently I ordered a service on internet. The seller could not deliver on time because his employee had a personal problem. He communicated this to me and even proposed to cancel the contract because he could not deliver. I gave him the benefit of doubt and asked him to deliver at a later date. He was so happy that he did not only deliver it on time but also gave me a rating as a favorite buyer.

I know a few businesses whose customers did not pay up on time. In those cases, the poor sellers were left unpaid and their work stolen. Even though there is legal recourse, suppliers hesitate to take them. You do not get good reputation when one is termed as a seller that sues buyers.

Timely payments and honoring the conditions is a must for buyers. It ensures that your supplier is motivated to deliver goods /services in the right time . The suppliers that are happy often put your work on priority and deliver more than expected.

You would not want your customer’s to delay your payment. After all you have bills, salaries and rent to pay. So does your supplier. Respect a quality work, delivered on time and pay promptly. Its good business, you know.

Barrett Rossie October 14, 2012 at 9:32 am

Good advice Ashvini. I’ve run into a lot of “bad buyers” over the years… Once word gets out that you’re a bad buyer, no one wants to do work for you. So being a good buyer is good for your business and reputation, being a bad buyer means you’ll have trouble finding good suppliers or partners.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena October 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Barrett,

Totally true.Even buyers need a reputation to protect. Not paying on time and dictating terms that are not in good faith lead to wrecking of buyer supplier relationship.

Glad that you reinforced my point with your example. Thanks:)

DiNaRa September 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I try to be very disciplined and do everything on time as I know that if you do something bad it will return to you in teh same way.

Adrienne September 12, 2012 at 2:13 am

In a perfect world right Ashvini!

I know that problems will arise but like the person that shared that they couldn’t deliver on time for you and let you kept them anyway, came through and probably with even better service because you gave them a chance. I know for me that if they treat me well I’ll be their best customer. If not then I’m moving on.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for your comment. I often believe that people do not pay on time to their suppliers ( for whatever reasons). This breeds a distrust in the whole industry. Even suppliers may get into crisis and they will appreciate if you were patient. Supplier-customer is also a relationship which needs work. :)

farouk September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

i like to pay on time
of course sometimes the payment gets delayed but not for long
feels good to get paid on time

Ashvini Kumar Saxena September 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm