In the knowledge economy its not just enough to manage your people . While managing may be necessary because you still have to plan for your resources, it is not sufficient to create high performing team. As a manager, alignment to corporate mission statements is rewarded well ( for example doing a fairly decent job).
However that is not sufficient for the new age economy. Today, competition is fierce and the company will be known by the extraordinary things that it does. One needs to constantly break the boundaries. One will have to motivate yourself first, to propel your team,
Leadership is different from management. Leadership is when a customer calls to express grievance and return more than happy, even as a permanent loyal customer.
As a manager here are the things one is expected to do .
- Manage resources ( people and material)
- Complete work within deadline and within budget
- Keep the team sufficiently motivated to make them deliver on the job
- Solve crisis as and when they happen.
- Follow policies and processes
- Align your team to organization’s vision
and a few others.
Leadership is different. It is not an add-on to management rather it is the opposite.
- Leadership is creating a vision no matter where you are in the company hierarchy.One may need to align it with organization’s motives but why not make it more than just being a follower
- Leadership is about inspiring people based on example. Even though you may not be fit for doing a hands on job, your passion for learning will inspire your team members.
- Leadership is about taking responsibilities when things go wrong.Its about turning the crisis to your advantage for example by doing the right things first and resolving the crisis.
- Leadership is about letting people grow. You are a leader when you recognize talent in others and let it blossom. You know you are successful when people want to work with you. They will be even ready to forgo short term rewards for a long term benefits , they will get from you.
- Leadership is about grooming other leaders. A leader knows that he needs to make way for others. A leader grooms others to take leadership when he/she is not around.
Good leadership today is far more important than just management. Leadership will build you a great company and get you highly motivated employees.