Are you slacking off after success?

by Ashvini Kumar Saxena on November 28, 2012 · 8 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

Similar to life, whether we want or not , business is a race. Even giants in business are in race to be ahead of the competition.

I often ordered food from an online site that facilitated delivery of food from restaurant to home. It got quite popular but then started slacking off. That means longer wait time on phone, lack of urgency to solve issues and general apathy. They started missing order deliveries and failed to take any steps to rectify. I searched for alternative and to my surprise found a site that I could order from a restaurant that I always liked. Now the site has become my choice for ordering food.

It often happens that companies when they become successful start taking customers for granted. This can happen when they are either monopolies or when they are market leaders. In this case unfortunately ( or rather sadly) , the site that now does not work well is run by entrepreneurs. It got early success and it was fairly customer friendly when it was launched.

It is impossible to be only a single company in a market. There are always competitors who are willing to overthrow the leader . A good product is must to be at top. However being fair and acting on customer’s concern and showing urgency is also high up there. If you fail to do so , either customer will find your competitors or vice versa.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Hemanth Kumar December 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

As you said, Ashvini, If you doesn’t keep the expectations by your customer, they have many other choices, In business or in life, this applies, even for bloggers too. Good article Bro.

Hemanth Kumar’s latest article :Nokia Lumia 900 launched in India for Rs 32,999

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hey Hemanth,

Glad that you liked the article. I am seeing a number of businesses starting very well, then slacking off and finally neglecting customers completely. They cause immense harm to their brand.

MANICKAM VIJAYABANU November 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

At practical life, we see and it happens at many business. People who show up their interest and initial thrust will slowly grayed our once they succeeded in their business ground and takeoff their leg from gas pedal. Surely it will be a set back.

Indeed, There is nothing like optimum point or saturated level for success. Its all your passion and kind of journey as how effectively you hold passion towards your mission is your real business reach and height.

When a business start thinking them self as monopolies in market, its a great starting point to get defeated. business need dedication, passion, patient, customer concentric and society linked. The journey is eternal.

Thanks for the nice post Ashvini.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hi Vijay,

Great comment :). Monopolies are same all around the world. They get broken when new technologies, new business emerge. However I am surprised when successful entrepreneurs behave as monopolies. Its kind of hard to understand.
Thanks and have a great day.

Adrienne November 29, 2012 at 12:28 am

I also agree Ashvini. It’s kind of like when you get what you want you think you’re done and you don’t have to do anymore because you have it. Well the key is continuing to do the same and more to make sure that it stays and remains.

I’ve seen this happen many times myself and it’s frustrating because I loved the product and at that time, the service too. But, if they’re going to start falling down on the job then it’s time for me to go elsewhere.

Great point and thanks for this reminder. A great one for us all.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for your comment. I was more sad about this incident because there is an entrepreneur who runs the business. The business has been slacking and they have taken no steps at all to improve the condition. I have moved on. Its their loss.

Hope you are having a great day :)

Lori Gosselin November 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I so agree Ashvini! They say you have to continue to do what you did to become successful – even after you ARE successful! We knew with Terra Cotta Pendants that we would be imitated and that we had to get out ahead and stay there. We focus on giving the best service we can as well as designing new products. You can’t stop thinking about these things, but at times, when you’re very busy, you do tend to do that. ;-)
Thanks for this reminder!
Lori

Lori Gosselin’s latest article :What Does Your T-Shirt Say?

Ashvini Kumar Saxena December 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hi Lori,

You are indeed following the right path and thanks for showing it to us. Business is about continuity and it demands new products and best services. I appreciate your comment and sharing the best practices with us :).