Engaging with social media for good

by Ashvini on December 27, 2012 · 8 comments

in Social Media

The difference between social media and main stream media is this. Social media is allowed to say whatever it wants to ( negative or positive). It does not matter how many laws are made, its hard to curb it.

At social media, everyone is just like a newspaper or a publisher. Everyone can dig a story that can turn out to be so popular that even mainstream media maybe forced to take notice. Social media may be equally troublesome as many of these stories are unverified and often cause troubles for the person or the brand.

The over used ( and which I often dislike) cliché is “You may love it or hate it but you cannot ignore it” . The only way to be not concerned is to be not involved at all. That seems difficult because social media is everywhere and hard to ignore.

Any thing positive for social media ?

The answer: plenty.

A brand by refusing to engage with audience because it fears backlash, allows great engagement opportunities pass by. For example, a Facebook page which has got a million likes, means one single post is shared among ( and probably read by) a million people ( imagine the possibilities ).

Another mistake by the brand owners, is to keep the Facebook wall closed for posting by others.( I realized this a few days back and now the Facebook wall for this blog is open to sharing by others, a honest mistake). By doing this, the brand has a great chance to develop a standing that it would otherwise have to spend millions of dollars. A smaller brand can get exposure without breaking the wallet ( or purse) ( a process that was previously reserved for only big brands).

The important point is to engage more with the audience , talk to them ( and listen ) and share interesting stuff( that is what I plan to do the next year ).

Hemanth Kumar January 4, 2013 at 12:16 am

Hi Ashvini, we have positive and negative in every where in this world, in social media too. If we use it properly it helps us to grow, but brands close their walls because if some one with fake account post some abusive content, it may ruin the brand value. Any way I appreciate your guts to open your blog wall to all. All the best.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Hemanth. I feel interaction on my site can be increased but I am still trying to find how. Maybe two solid years have given it a good edge and time to do something more :)

Edward January 3, 2013 at 6:34 am

Spread the word. Make sure you always share your own posts or updates.

Lisa January 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Ashvini I believe the good outweighs the bad with social media. If used correctly it can do so much good in the world. It can engage people to help out an important cause. It can bring many like minded people together. I’m glad I found your blog through Adrienne. Love the nice clean look of it.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hey Lisa,

Thank you and welcome to the blog. I too believe in what you have said. There are plenty of benefits which outweigh the pitfalls.
Great to see you here :)

Lori Gosselin December 31, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Hi Ashvini! Hi Carolyn!
I too am just coming to appreciate the value of social media. I’ve been “here” for over 2 years now but really just playing with my blog and not applying what I’m learning to my business! 2013 is the year for that, in fact this week is the week I begin planning.
All the best in 2013 Ashvini! See you at the Hangout in a couple of days! Are you coming Carolyn?
Lori

Carolyn December 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hi Ashvini, You’re right, social media is a double-edged sword. These sites are vehicles for good or evil. Facebook, YouTube and Twitter can be free publicity, bringing more attention to items than million dollar dollar advertising budgets can.

Thanks for sharing this with us and for your immeasurable support in 2012. Best wishes for a bright and prosperous new year, Ashvini!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena January 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Carolyn,
Wish you too a great 2013.
You are most welcome. I enjoyed working with you but I feel most of the work was done by you ( minus css ) ;).