Do you think before spending on things you enjoy?

by Ashvini on March 21, 2013 · 8 comments

in Entrepreneurship

One of my friends was in dilemma. He wanted to get into a related field. He needed to learn new skills and to do things better. He planned an investment of about $3000, on buying a really high tech computer.

The problem was, that he was not sure , if the investment was worth it. Another question in his mind was, if he could recover this investment in time. So he asked me about what he should do?

I asked him the following questions.

1. Can he afford it without breaking his bank? He said yes
  2. Will he enjoy the work that he is going to do ? Again yes
  3. In the long term, will the cost matter in terms of skill gained and money made? No

The point was simple; if you love doing something , there is absolutely no dilemma about spending on it. If you are passionate about something, you will learn to use the equipment in no time and it would add to your proficiency levels .

Now, about money. If money could be quantified into enjoyment we get from creating things, we would be billionaires each. If you can afford it, there is no need to wait to do things you have been dreaming of. I have spend a lot of money on learning guitar. Do I play like a pro ? Maybe. Can I perform in concerts? No way . Am I loving what I am doing? Yes. Nothing can take that joy away from me.

Even if you don’t make a dime on that investment, you could still make money teaching people who could :). So there is no dilemma in my opinion.

Image courtesy of bplanet / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Zalando May 18, 2013 at 11:11 am

Perfectly said Mr. Ashvini, Life is all about inner happiness and if you get that happiness by contributing the money towards your passion/goal, you must do it and never expect anything in return.

Zalando’s latest article :Lesley-Ann Poppe verhuist omdat ze zich niet veilig voelt

Sonia April 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Well said Ash! I enjoy blogging and if I make money from it, great, but it isn’t my sole purpose. After 3 years of blogging, I have learned that you have to think things through and make sure its worth your cause or you end up suffering from an empty wallet.

When I see people doing what they love and they can make money from it, you can’t ask for more than that. They didn’t hold back and made it happen. For some it might take more pushing or something dramatic to happen before they take action, but if you can find happiness in everything you do, money will be no object.

Sonia’s latest article :Is Your Blog Design Driving Visitors Crazy?

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 11, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Well said Sonia :)

King March 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm

If I am in the situation of your friend I will go ahead with out any second thought, but like you said it shouldn’t be about money all the time.. one has to bother about the REAL benefit he will get for the little investment he make today without which our investments will go in utter vain..

King’s latest article :HostGator Review

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hi King,
I told him the same thing :)

Srikanth March 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hi,
Spending money on things which we love then we will never regret for ourself.but when we do things not in our own way then we will be thinking money and other things !!

Srikanth’s latest article :Karbonn S5 Titanium Dual Sim – Specifications and Price

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hi Srikanth,

Well said :)

Rashmi Sinha March 22, 2013 at 12:40 am

There is never the right time to do things. If you are passionate about something, then money should not matter. Nothing is worth investing than your set of belief and what you yearn for.

Rashmi Sinha’s latest article :How to use Youtube to make money – The “Partnership” Program