Relationship building is the key to success

by Ashvini on May 22, 2013 · 16 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

My blogging friend and mentor Adrienne Smith often writes about developing relationship with fellow bloggers.

Building relationship is very important to be successful. It is important that you build relationship with as many people as possible. However in practice it is very hard to build relationship with a huge number of people .Due to the limited time, it is best to build relationship that work out for both the sides.

All relationship start the same way, be it business or personal. We start with a hello and then add a few niceties. Later on we discuss about our thoughts on a particular subject. Then we visit the person’s place (offline or online) and a friendship is formed.

Sometimes these relationships work out extremely well and sometimes they don’t. In case of personal relationships, people move closer and often result in partners living together for the rest of the life. While in professional relationship, they move into formation of alliances and partnerships. Out of a number of new “acquaintances”, you will probably make one or two lifetime friends.

The relationships that I have had with my blogger friends started with a comment on their blog and then reciprocation from them or vice versa. We managed to find common areas where we could help each other. Meeting them online and talking to them brought us closer even though we physically miles apart.

Its very hard to figure out what works for one in business. Businesses rise and go bust all the time in the world. The same is with relationships. You can build relationships with a lot of people. However with a few you will always find a higher level of comfort or connect. You need to strengthen those relationships.

The most important point in a relationship is building genuine trust. My blogging friends trust me with sometimes solving their technical issues and share access details with me. I feel honored because of that. If we are not honest with each other, relationships can come crumbling down like a pack of cards.

Even online relationships take their time. People usually take more time to feel easy with someone online than offline. It is important that if you are building relationship for any reason ( personal or business) , be honest and genuine. Also be patient because it provides great rewards in the long run.

Rupak August 1, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hi Ashvini!!! Nice to be over your blog. I recently came to read a blog post on Adrienne’s blog. Where she mentioned your name time and again. I liked the you helped her to get her problem resolved. I appreciate your work. This shows how important it is to build a strong bond with fellow bloggers. Everyone of them pro or newbie is like a gem to every successful blogger. Thanks for the beautiful post to throw light on building an online relationship. Cheers!!!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena August 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Rupak and welcome to this blog. Adrienne is very kind to mention my name. She has been a great friend and we have learned a lot together. It is truly important to build great relationship because as everyone grows they take you also along on their journey. Glad that your liked the post :) and thanks for your comment

Silviu June 27, 2013 at 12:42 am

1. You have hit the bulls eye: “it is very hard to build relationships with a huge number of people”. At some point in time it becomes impossible. Honestly, I don’t think you can build strong and long lasting relationships with more than a few hundred people.
So relationship marketing has its limits. It works better indirectly.

2. The solution: be genuine, honest and patient. The reward is great in the long run.

Well, Ashvini, I do hope your words come from experience. Honestly, I can hardly wait for the rewards.:)

Have a nice day

Ashvini Kumar Saxena July 2, 2013 at 11:59 am

Hi Silviu,

Your first point made me think. Yes, I agree the relationship marketing has its limit. I also believe that relationship with many people works better indirectly. It is important to find out what thing works and then repeat it .
I am sure you are on your way to a lot of rewards. )

Thanks and best regards

John B. June 3, 2013 at 2:11 am

I agree 100% with your statement Ashvini. Indeed, having great and solid relationships can make your business to survive and get a good amount of profit. It’s the simple referral system that is beneficial.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thanks John :)

Adrienne May 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hey Ashvini,

Well thank you for that awesome mention and I love how you referred to me as your mentor. I’m blushing over here.

Everything you said is spot on. Now I get a lot of criticism from people when they notice that on my opt-in form I ask for a phone number. Just like you mentioned here, it’s always best in my opinion to actually speak to someone if you can’t do it in person then chat on the phone. If Skype or Google hangouts are your preference then by all means go that route but that’s the key to me for letting them get to know who you are.

I have a very successful author who is a subscriber to my list and she emailed me while I was on vacation this week that her comment didn’t go through. I immediately checked it out but didn’t respond until I got home. She told me that she had been to a ladies site that was promoting a product about marketing but mentioned on her sales page that she wouldn’t be able to respond to all emails. She told me that she appreciated that I did go out of my way to respond to them all. Some people will tell me that I shouldn’t but to me, that’s where you build the trust.

Wonderful post and topic Ashvini and I’m so glad you brought this up. It’s so important and another thing that John Paul Aguilar also mentioned and he was mentioned in Forbes as being one of the 10 most social media power influencers of 2013. Think there must be something to this?

Enjoy your weekend my friend and I’m so very honored to know you and be able to call you my friend.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Yeah I saw someone complaining about that on your blog post comment section. It is really strange that they want someone to coach them while they are not even willing to share phone number with them. That is really strange kind of building a relationship lol. I guess there are all kinds of people. When I launched my book, I saw a number of fake profiles registering to get the book for free.
I am a fan of your reply system. You have a great talent for understanding relationships and making them work. My grandmother had the same qualities as you and her “empire” extended all over the city she lived in ( in a good way ;) and I hope you wont mind comparison ). If she was a blogger, she would have thousands of fan. It is a talent only a few possess. Add to it the hard work that you put in, it is a win win for everyone. I doubt people will understand it.
You are on right track Adrienne and one day when you are featured in Forbes, I can always say I know you :). Wouln’t that be great.

David Tucker May 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Yep, building relationships takes time though not all of them can be equally valuable. In my opinion, it’s better to focus on a few quality relationships instead of disseminating our time and energy on communicating with lots of people.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 6, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Hi David,

You are absolutely right. Some of the relationship work out better for us. We need to make sure that we keep working on strengthening them. Thank you

Karnal Singh May 28, 2013 at 3:06 am

Relationships are really very important.Anybody’s growth or success is dependent on the support of people around you.Online relations are also important for your blogs to succeed.I am relatively new blogger and learning to develop relations.You are article is really nice emphacising the important point…

Zalando May 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Rightly said, relationships are indeed key to success. Whether in personal or in professional life, a good relationship surely helps a lot in creating strong bonds. It takes years and years to build such type of relationships one can truly count upon.

Christian May 25, 2013 at 6:58 am

I have some experience when it comes to online business relationships and interactions.
Its pretty much different compared with real life scenarios and you need to keep in mind the same rules won’t apply.
If you are speaking about e-mail correspondence for example, good grammar, straight to the point arguments and a very respectable attitude and tone would key.
Sure, online messengers like Skype make things a lot easier sometimes but that usually means you are already very comfortable with that specific person…

Radu May 26, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I fully agree with you Christian and i will plus with keeping your word. Saying that you will provide / deliver something at a specific time will increase your popularity and will show you as a professional.

Praveen Rajarao (@techivy) May 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Of course Ashvini, you are trusted and renowned as one of our techie-bloggers who can resolve almost any issue we have with our blogs. I have seen several bloggers approach you with their issues and have high praises and recommendations of your work.

It is nice to know you and build a ‘relationship’ with you as well.

Keep up the great work you are doing.

Lori Gosselin May 24, 2013 at 5:06 am

Aw Ashvini, you speak from experience! I think it’s true what you say about online relationships taking longer to form than offline ones. I think we’re all still trying to figure out how real these relationships actually are! And we’re learning that they are very real!
:-)