Don’t fall for entrepreneurship , really!!!

by Ashvini on June 11, 2013 · 11 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

Society loves people who conform to its standard. It is easy to make people fall in line because

a) Familiarity gives comfort

b) It is easier to control people

c) Mavericks often cause disruptions which may reverse the conventional wisdom.

Society wants everyone to follow the beaten track. The more  a person wants to do something different the louder he hears voices against him / her. It is told  that the path that is known, trusted and taken the most, is the best path. Why? Because it offers certainty. It is how life moves on and how everyone should be.

Entrepreneurs are mavericks. They make things different. They change the model of doing business. They spot the inefficiencies and they build systems to exploit them. Most of them fail but that is the part of the game. Failure is acceptable in entrepreneurship even though society may reject it. The tendency is to discourage and bring back people who have gone astray back to the fold.

A true entrepreneur rejects the established rules. He or she rejects the idea that if something is working then its better not to break it. He goes out and tries to make it work even better or invent something completely different. In the process , he may go bankrupt, earn peanuts and face a lot of stress. It does not matter. The important thing is that he or she tried and did things that not many could dream of.

At least when he talks , he talks from the sheer experience and maturity. The practicality of his solution is just plain awesome.

If you have not been an entrepreneur, why not give it a try? If you lose you can always go back to straight and simple. Or would you? Winking smile Remember entrepreneurship is addictive. Don’t fall for it.

Mark May 18, 2014 at 2:53 pm

You have described our journey well Ashvini!

And without a doubt, you are truly an entrepreneur! Funny “how” words like maverick, rebel or just plain unrealistic are often initially used to describe our chose path.

Good thing for us, we have communities and leaders such as yourself to continue to encourage and provide the necessary leadership, for us all to continue to grow!

Thanks for showing us why it’s definitely okay to be a maverick and therefore a highly engaged entrepreneur!

Sonia June 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I can honestly say I am all in. Being an Entrepreneur is something I still won’t give up. Conforming to the “norm” is something we are taught because our parents and their parents did the same.

Get a job, have insurance and save for retirement. Nothing wrong there, but then you have a few that have lofty ideas to do something different, stand out and try to make a name for themselves.

During the day I do conform because it is what pays my rent, but at night I am striving to do something different and stand out. Nothing happens overnight, but I am willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

Great post Ash!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hi Sonia,
Yes entrepreneurship is exactly not ( what society taught). It is hard and tough road to take but it is a lot more fun. I think you have a dream and you are doing everything to achieve that dream, which is a great thing in itself.

Wish you best of luck and thanks :)

Julia Reed June 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

That’s a very provocative question. To become an entrepreneur, a person needs will power and some courage. It’s not easy to leave the comfort zone and put everythig at risk. I think that not all of us can be successful entrepreneurs or even make a try to be.

Theodore Nwangene June 14, 2013 at 3:22 am

Thanks lot for sharing this awesome post with us Ashvini,
I will rather be an entrepreneur than to be any other thing in life. Nothing can be compared to having your own business although, the starting might be very hard but, it will be well worth it at the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing once again.

Rahul June 14, 2013 at 1:44 am

hey ashvini
i read your article and i found diplomatic solutions somewhere :p but i too agree with you. it depende on how you control

Adrienne June 13, 2013 at 12:32 am

I wouldn’t exactly call myself a true entrepreneur Ashvini because I really kind of stumbled into this and still wouldn’t call myself a rebel. The funny thing is that both my granddad’s owned their own business, my Dad did later in life and my brother did after his first job out of college. I was given the same opportunity but what was presented to me at that time was not something I could see myself doing the rest of my life.

It took me later in life before I chose to stop conforming to what everyone expected of me and I took my own path. Boy was that scary but exciting at the same time.

It’s been a hard road but I know that everyone will find that it’s worth the detour.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm

So you did become an entrepreneur in the end :). I am glad that you did and you find it scary and exciting. Yeah it has been a tough road but the one who keeps going surely is going to come out as a winner.

Thanks for your comment and it was great again to read about your family.

Zalando June 12, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Nice article, on one side you say its addictive don’t fall for it and on the other side, failure is acceptable/it teaches a lot etc :) Well, its good that you encourage entrepreneurship but one must be skilled and experienced enough to do things in a correct manner. Very less people get successful but still its always worth a shot.

Lori Gosselin June 11, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Hi Ashvini! I LOVE the simple solutions! (Like the one I found yesterday!) Sometimes we don’t think it through enough to know there is a simple solution.
If it’s not broken leave it alone? Our Canadian comedian says if it’s not broken you’re not trying hard enough.

It’s not easy to put yourself out there and try different things. Sometimes we want to coast and in business the coasting times are few and far between!
Right?
Lori

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hi Lori,
I think I have two minds about it. I often do a cost benefit analysis and then I reprioritize things to see which is the most important thing to do.
Sometimes I need to really break things in order to make them work better. You are also doing the same thing now ;).

Thanks and have a great day.