Lack of professionalism may sting badly

by Ashvini on June 18, 2013 · 8 comments

in My Personal Thoughts

SMS lingo is not a language. Yes it is fun to use when one is chatting or sending text messages to friends. However it is highly unprofessional to use it when you are in a professional group.

A lot of youngster think that it is cool and funky to write in such a way or that it makes them popular. Or worse they are careless about what they are writing.

I have seen mails from organization where they don’t even bother to do a spell check before sending the email to customers.

Often the resumes that are sent to companies are not only poorly written but also they have significant grammatical and spelling errors. I do not claim to be best writer in English myself. I make mistakes too. However they are not glaring so as to change the complete meaning or cause confusion to the evaluator.

The resume creators never even pressed the spell check button on Microsoft Word. That would have solved some of the problem at least.

Lack of professionalism

Professionalism is core to business relationship. In any forum unless it is for fun , you are probably trying to build a reputation for your self. When you forward your CV you are not only making an impression right away but you are also making it easier for yourself to sail through interview.

Every time you interact in a forum and write funnily or in SMS lingo, you are losing respect. No matter you are there for fun but if you want to get noticed, being professional is a good start. You may be a genius but no one really likes an arrogant genius. You don’t win any points for being impolite and unprofessional. If a company perceives you as a non team player, you will not get a job with them ever.

Be professional and gain respect. You never know who is looking for some work and you miss out because you were not careful.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Chetan Gupta June 20, 2013 at 5:35 am

Hey Ashvini
I am totally agree with you that Chatting by sending text messages to friends is not a professional work to do in a professional group. Making Spelling mistakes in mails, resumes is really unprofessional. You are saying that Lack of professionalism is the reason for this. You are right but first thing is carelessness. If any person do all the things carefully then he/she is able to follow professional way but If someone is careless then firstly he/she should finish carelessness then they should think about professionalism. I am also not so good in English but i never make spelling mistakes. Right???

Chetan Gupta’s latest article :Ultimate Guide: Smarty Tricks to Increase Google Page Rank

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi Chetan,
Thanks for your comment. I agree that carelessness is the starting point. After that it becomes a habit and then it leads to lack of professionalism. People need to change the habit first.

Chetan Gupta July 1, 2013 at 2:25 am

Thanks Ashvini for your valuable response.. As the post topic is great to create a new thread here right??? but it’s enough and I happy to see your response as well. Thanks once again.
Chetan Gupta

Chetan Gupta’s latest article :Top 5 Plugin to Add Go To Top Floating Button in WordPress Blog

Ashvini Kumar Saxena July 2, 2013 at 11:46 am

You are most welcome. Thanks for commenting :)

Adrienne June 20, 2013 at 1:16 am

Oh Ashvini, I can so relate to this.

Of course I’m older then a lot of the people online today which means I’m pretty old school. It’s not that I can’t “change” or grow with things but I was also an executive assistant in corporate America so I always type things out. I was so embarrassed when I had to ask what does LOL mean. I seriously had no clue!

I also agree that when conducting business, even though you should just be yourself, you are forming your reputation online for all to see. I was visiting a post just yesterday and he was talking about something similar to this and all those people out there jokingly dropping the “F” word. Now I don’t like that word anyway but I have used it myself, I’ll admit. But I’m certainly not going to be doing it online.

I can be myself, I can get upset, I can lose my temper but we all need to learn that there is a time and a place for everything so whatever you put online stays online. I guess everyone just needs to ask themselves the question, how do they want to be perceived!

I certainly know the answer to that for me.

Great share Ashvini and hope you’re enjoying your week.

Adrienne’s latest article :Residual Income: What It Is and Why You Need It

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm

The lingo always change. I too was not aware of LOL because I am not fond of text messaging that much. People really don’t understand what it means to develop a professional image and that it can really make/hamper an individual. Even though if I am agitated just like you sometimes, I try to keep the language impersonal because no one likes a person ( even while complaining) to use wrong words. In our personal interaction, it is fine but not really online.

Thanks for your comment and have a great day :)

Siddhartha Sinha June 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Hi Ashvani,

Lack of Professionalism not only causes problem in the field of business but in each and every field either it is of cooking, studying, driving or doing any activity. Without professional one cannot get success which is bitter true.

View My recent post on http://niceblogging.com/top-5-google-adsense-alternatives-2013/

Regards
Siddhartha Sinha

Ashvini Kumar Saxena June 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Hi Siddarth,
Welcome to the blog. Yes one cannot get success without being professional. Agreed :)