Running after the fads

by Ashvini on October 1, 2013 · 6 comments

in Business,Entrepreneurship,My Personal Thoughts

If you own a blog , you are often enticed by the deceptively sweet  emails that promise to take your blog to the top position on the web or get the best

When you run a business, often a few people not with your best interest at heart, lure you into investing thousands of dollars ( or Rupees) into advertising for the things you sell. They promise that you will get the visibility but often their methods are questionable and their effectiveness is more about selling their stuff to you, rather than yours to customer. An entrepreneur who craves for publicity often resort to taking short term measure and end up in trouble. For example , in India ( as in most of the parts of world), sending spam by SMS is punishable by monetary fines. It has not stopped anyone from sending bulk message to people who hate to see them on their mobiles.

Entrepreneurship is a lot of fun but it is also full of frustration and involves years of hard work, often with no immediate results. The lack of success sometimes propels entrepreneurs to take short cuts and lend themselves in legal or any other kind of trouble. Entrepreneurs are overwhelmed by fads and anything that gives them some publicity is like sweet music to their ears.

Entrepreneurs are vulnerable

People who know that entrepreneurs are vulnerable, because they either don’t know something or do not have time to learn it, succeed at making money at the expense of entrepreneurs. I remember when I started my first business, I was desperate to get some leads. I was approached by a person who promised to put my site at the top. Fortunately I thought better because their price was too high. I soon realised that what a waste of investment that could have been.

Advertising is big money. It command big interests too. But can your business handle the kind of load if there was an instant surge in inquiries . Would it be good to return the calling customers because you are overwhelmed? I would be overwhelmed if I receive more than five queries on one day because I am the whole in sole in-charge of running the whole business. Yes I would like my business to jump a hundred times but I am not sure if my support for it is ready. So taking on my plate more than I can handle is a recipe for disaster.

Build relationships first

It is important to build relationships and spend time and money on keeping them rather than spending on advertising and fads which bring temporary traffic to your doorway. That traffic might go away next day because the excitement has died down. However long term relationships will always stay. Running after the fads is not always the best choice.

Ashutosh Kasera October 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Truly speaking, I couldn’t stop myself from laughing after reading your post. So true, even I have got so many emails promising offering me good rankings. Luckily, I never got trapped in these rosy mails as I do understand that there is no shortcut to success. I want to earn success my own way and as you have rightly mentioned, building relationship with the audience is the first and the most important task behind earning success in our blogging journey.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post and I hope it can help new bloggers.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena October 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

HI Ashutosh,

Thanks for your comment :)
We are technically aware and thus can differentiate between rights and wrongs ( from the SEO perspective). If you think of other people who have no inclination or time to be IT savvy, things are a challenge. I have seen many people who were taken for a ride by IT professionals because they were unaware of right things to do.
Even with our own hard work and best intentions, sometimes we feel that we need guidance to do something and that is the point , we are most vulnerable. Eventually we learn but sometimes after a loss.

Daria Steigman October 3, 2013 at 1:49 am

I don’t think entrepreneurs are any more or less vulnerable than the next person. While I agree that following the fads is dangerous, is the entrepreneur looking for quick publicity really any different than the corporate investor looking for short-term gains? At the end of the day, there are no shortcuts to building a business the right way.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena October 8, 2013 at 2:32 pm

HI Daria,

I agree that every other person is vulnerable. However a lot of people have been taken for a ride not because they wanted quick success because they were guided wrongly.
For example a person who is offering a first page ranking is a suspect candidate but often offers are sugar coated to avoid suspicion. The purchaser does not know what hit them until they see the consequence. I know a lot of people who are not tech savvy and would hand over their assets to the provider ( there is no other choice for them ).
It is different than greed because even legitimate businesses with best intentions can be taken for a ride because of ignorance ( not that it is an excuse).

Jeevan Jacob John October 2, 2013 at 12:56 am

Hey Ashvini,

I do agree on the idea that entrepreneurs are vulnerable. I remember looking through Google and many money making forums of quick money making tools. Saw a lot of sales videos (I didn’t spend a lot of money on those tools, since my budget was small. But, I did spend on some products, but fortunately, I got my refunds). In the end I learned a valuable lesson. Most of these tools are worthless, some of them do work, but they require hard work and patience, just like any other job.

There is no shortcut to success!

I do agree with you on the power of relationships. No amount of advertising can match that power!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena October 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hi Jeevan,

I have purchased those kinds of software and I learned early on that they don’t serve much purpose. The marketing is really strong and that compels people to buy products without assessing the value.
The people most vulnerable are those who have little capacity or time to learn about vagaries of internet.
Hope you are having a great day and thanks again for your awesome comment.