Building your brand on other platforms: Facebook Reach loss

by Ashvini on January 28, 2014 · 10 comments

in General

Facebook is a great place to build an audience which extends worldwide. Facebook can be utilized to spread brand message to thousands of followers. People have put Facebook Like Boxes on their site because it is so easy to build a brand image and attract people by sharing content. Just post your message and viola , it was shared with most of  the followers.

This was days before Facebook announced that if you now post your message to your fans , you will see very low reach compared to when you pay for reach.

My blogger friend Adrienne Smith has written about how Facebook is killing small businesses

Double Whammy

It is a double whammy for small bloggers and business. A small business will now to need to add  to the costs or take money out of somewhere else to pay to Facebook. On top of that they still need to pay/work for getting more followers.

While it may be great for Facebook, it is a big problem for people who have spent months trying to attract followers.

Danger of building our brand on external platform

No doubt we love social media. It helps us to spread the brand reach without incurring big costs. However when we build our reach on a platform that we don’t own, we need to realize that risk our brand to become dependent on that platform. If the social media site we have a huge presence on, decides to take  action like Facebook, our marketing can get into serious trouble

Reducing the risk

So what is the way out of this new problem ?

First is to not depend on social media platforms only for brand building because one day under commercial pressure , these social media platforms can implement restrictions leading to an economic loss for the brand . Diversification of marketing channels is the key. Use Twitter, Stumble Upon or Google plus instead of Facebook for your marketing efforts.

Second is to enhance your website with good content.  People who come to site via online search will be happy to share that content. It will be a little costly to build but in the end , it is your own content.

Third is to network with people in the industry using all available methods. Sharing things they write and engaging with them is important. Solidifying personal relationship will make sure that you have a reach that is not dependent upon any external entity.

DE-risking brand building is now one of the most important things that small business need in this ever changing online world.

Credits:

Image courtesy of [Stuart Miles] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Seana Turner February 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm

The Facebook changes have been very disappointing. I loved the interaction I used to have with my FB followers, and now so few of them so the posts… Fortunately, Twitter is great, and I’m growing there. I understand I can’t complain – FB is free. But its been a let down to have invested in growing that channel only to see it recede before my eyes:( Great tips!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena February 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Hi Seana,

I apologize for the late response. I think it is disaster for small businesses and we will need to find another channel. Fortunately there are plenty of other channels where we can build communities. Hopefully they won’t go Facebook way.

Thank you so much for commenting. Have a great day.

Amiti February 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

You made some great points, and I actually read a post today on how we should keep an eye on what the teens are doing, as they could lead us to the next best social media sites.

If I have an hour for social media, I think that I would go to Twitter and LinkedIn before Facebook.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena February 10, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Hi Amiti,

Thanks for your comment. Yes Facebook is not working that much for my blog as well. I prefer twitter over Facebook now.

Adrienne February 4, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Hey Ashvini,

Thank you for sharing my post here, what a pleasant surprise.

I know that I was very disappointed when Facebook made this announcement but at the same time I wasn’t really that surprised. I did hear from one guy though that was really furious about it because Facebook encouraged small businesses to create fan pages and share their messages and content with their new fans.

So this guy spent several thousand dollars running ads to get more fans to his page because he was sharing great information there that he was hoping would get them interested in what he does. Then Facebook makes this announcement all while he kept seeing his stats decrease as far as how many people were seeing his posts.

Who wants to spend thousands more to get more fans when you have to continue to pay now for them to see what you share! Oh sure, the big businesses have no problem spending the money for this but that’s just a crap shoot for the rest of us.

I’ll keep posting there like I always do until no one sees my stuff any longer and then I’ll give it a rest. This is just one more lesson that we should be making the connections on the social platforms but our main goal has always been to get them to your own real estate which for us is our blog.

Great reminder, thanks my friend.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena February 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm

You told us about building brand on our site. This has been yet again proven true. I am so sorry for people who spent years giving their best to Facebook only to be now told that Facebook does not care for us. It is not business, it is bad business. Facebook could have been more innovative and found other ways to help people increase reach. I have already diversified my sources and I miss sharing posts on Facebook and connecting with people instantly.
Well times change :).
Thanks for your comment. Have a great day :)

Josh February 4, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Nice post and good advice. I agree with the importance of not relying upon cyber property you don’t own because the rules can change and you can lose everything with little to no recourse.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena February 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Hi Josh,

Very true. I am also trying to find out ways to build brand on my own page rather than giving it up to all sites.
Great to see here and thanks for your comments :)

Jeevan Jacob John February 1, 2014 at 4:11 am

Great tips, Ashvini :)

I was frustrated when I learned about the changes in FB’s algorithm (but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense….I mean, I have one less site to worry about, right? I could probably reinvest the time into some other social networking site, like Twitter or G+, which is what I am doing).

I won’t be starting a FB page (why bother anyways?). But, I will be active through my personal profile. I have never used it for blogging, so this incident provides an opportunity for me.

Anyways, thank you for the tips, Ashvini :) Hope you have a great weekend!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena February 3, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Jeevan,

Just saw the awesome article at your place. It is a shock to people worldwide who have invested time to build fan base are now held hostage to these arbitrary “policies”. Its not that they should not make money but it should not be at the cost of other people’s hard work. Facebook is already seeing teenagers moving out of the website. Now small businesses will also move out. I wonder who will use FB for any other purpose .
I think starting a FB page at this stage is not a good idea :).
Thanks for commenting :) Have a great day.