Entrepreneur and confidence

by Ashvini on April 23, 2014 · 10 comments

in Entrepreneurship,My Personal Thoughts

As an entrepreneur or small business owner, life is obviously more difficult when compared to that which comes with a job. For the people who left their high paying careers and moved into entrepreneurship, memories of getting a paycheck every month seems like nostalgia.

Whether you are an experienced person trying to become an entrepreneur or a college goer starting his/her own venture, the pain remains the same. Even the savviest entrepreneur may get the blues. The confidence does not go down in a day but chips away slowly with time.

Similarly, confidence does not get built or lost in a day. When an entrepreneur creates something new, they are aware that they will not be successful in a few days or months. The initial enthusiasm pushes up the confidence to new height. If things don’t move as expected, the confidence level goes down slowly.

Confidence is like gaining / losing weight

One day of binge eating does not make one a fat person. Many days of eating does. Also, one cannot get fit by exercising only for a day. It needs to be a regular activity.

Just like the weight gain or loss, it is a good idea to work on the confidence levels too. During days of low confidence, one can complete small tasks that build up the confidence. Each addition to the confidence builds it up.

There are so many of us

Not all entrepreneurs are making huge money. There are people at every level of the pyramid. It is quite easy to find entrepreneurs at the level same as ours. That is the reality.

Networking with our “kind” of people will tell us that they are also going through similar issues. If that makes one feel better , so be it.

This is a time to “Switch off”

Things not working ? Not getting ideas ?

Staring into screen never helps. It is better to switch off and do something else. Meet family and friends, pursue a hobby. Even though business takes most of our life, business is not our life.

Creating a  list

While working, I remember a number of trivial tasks I need to do. When I lose confidence, I start working on them. I note down tasks in an excel sheet and finish them when I am not in a mood to do my regular activities.

It helps me to develop confidence and keep negativity away.

Counting all the successes stories

All ventures irrespective of failure or success has some stories to tell. It is a good idea to note down these stories. If we have a blog, we could write those experience. Looking back later we would know how much we have learned.

Building confidence is like losing weight. We do it slowly and with the right attitude we will have all the confidence that we need.

Image courtesy of [jscreationzs] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Josh April 24, 2014 at 6:17 am

Small victories won over time lead to confidence.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 24, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Yeah it does Josh… BTW thanks for the hangout yesterday ( and sorry for double emails just now ;) ) . It was really cool

Carolyn Nicander Mohr April 24, 2014 at 4:35 am

Hi Ashvini, I also like the analogy of gaining/losing weight. You’re right, we make changes over time. As much as we would like everything to happen instantly, it simply doesn’t. But then we value the results so much more, which is where confidence comes from. If we could lost 10 lbs in a day, we wouldn’t gain the confidence of long-term discipline, just as you said.

Excellent article, Ashvini!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 24, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Carolyn. I have experienced it personally hence I thought I would share it here. Whenever we are down , we should do some confidence building exercises as at that point in time we are most vulnerable.

Adrienne April 24, 2014 at 4:07 am

Oh man Ashvini, this has brought back memories for me and I can’t even believe I’m saying that. It’s been seven years this past January since I left corporate America.

I came into this thinking no problem, I’m smart and I’ll figure this out but boy was I wrong. It really shot my confidence down and I had to hire a life coach to help me. I had some difficult times my first several years but she really did help me realize that I could do this. It was just unfamiliar territory and I was way outside my comfort zone but that didn’t mean it wasn’t possible.

Once I found the right information and knew what I needed to do then the rest was history. I had never viewed myself before that as an entrepreneur but I certainly do now. Great advice!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 24, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Wow that is some story. I was not aware about this. That shows that there are times when we just need to go through in order to be successful. I always said that you are an entrepreneur ;) and a pretty smart one .
Thanks for your comment and have a great day :)

Barbara April 23, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Hi Ashvini, what a lovely comparison: gaining confidence is like losing weight! Counting and remembering our success (however small the single event may be) is like building a house with our own hands: laying brick to brick in a row, adding another level etc. Keeping our expectations on track (be content with the sparrow in our hands instead of trying to catch the swallow on the roof) and unplugging when necessary – love the common sense advice you hand out to us, thanks, Ashvini!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hi Barbara,
So happy to see you here :). I loved the example of laying bricks. That is how we add up to the whole thing. Thank you for the appreciation. Hope you are having a great day.

Lori Gosselin April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

This is great information. So true that gaining confidence is like losing weight ;-) A bit at a time, a success (small win ;-) at a time! It’s great that we have blogs with which to measure and gauge our success!
Lori

Ashvini Kumar Saxena April 24, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Thanks Lori. The weight point has struck a chord with everyone here :). Small successes are needed to boost our confidence. Today I cracked how to work on htaccess. It is a big win though ;).