Why discipline is important to entrepreneurs

by Ashvini on May 19, 2014 · 8 comments

in Entrepreneurship

Discipline is emphasized by experts in nearly all professions. Athlete, scientists or a  teacher may all vouch for discipline. Though, we may succeed only with luck but it is very hard that everyone can be so lucky. In case we are disciplined and also lucky, the returns can be just great.

Step wise entrepreneurship

People often wonder that if they have an idea , what is the right time to start working on it. They calculate that based on market forecast, if the idea can be successful or not. Often they enter in hurry.

As soon as initial enthusiasm dies down, they find it difficult to continue with their idea. Here discipline enters the picture

The discipline of entrepreneurship is as follows

image

The most important hedge against pitfalls of entrepreneurship is the discipline. Discipline is about planning the stuff and sticking to it no matter what. Discipline is also about killing procrastination .

It is hard to do something the whole day and not get bored

There were times when I was hard pressed for writing on this blog. On the fateful day of completing the post, I would ponder over the topic. I would then spend enormous amount of time looking for the topic and then start researching. Later, I decided to abandon this way of working. I sat one day and wrote a number of headlines in an excel sheet. Now I have my calendar covered till 4-5 months from today. I can research my topics minus the pressure of putting the post out asap.

I code a lot everyday Smile. My product Share Juice Pro has grown big. If I were to code that product in 30 days flat, I am sure I would have been exhausted. I would not have got time to experiment and listen to customer feedback. Today it is used very creatively by my customers. Carolyn , my blogging friend and inspiration behind Share Juice Pro has used the product in the best way possible. Adrienne is also using it to drive traffic to her blog. Its the iteration of the product with them, that has made the whole thing work.

Without disciplined approach , this would have hardly been possible.

The power of compounding really works with discipline

Albert Einstein is thought of as quoting compounding as the most powerful force in universe.

Another one who used compounding effectively is Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffet. His disciplined approach to investing made him billions of dollars. Shares of his company have on an average compounded by 21%. Compounding works with discipline because we can build on what has already been built.

Discipline works

We need to build discipline with time.  There is no set method. It all depends on our approach to the work. With disciplined approach we can conquer any challenge.

Mi Muba May 21, 2014 at 9:33 am

Hi Ashvini: This is first time I visited your blog and much impressed to see quality of contents and design here.
Without discipline maybe we can do anything but entrepreneurship. When we become our own boss we don’t get orders of others to meet our deadlines. No one keeps vigil on our quality of products. We have to manage all of this by ourselves. We can’t do this in a casual way and have to follow a strict schedule of getting things done.
Thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful info.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 21, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Hi Mi Muba,

Thanks for your comment and welcome to this blog. I am really glad that you liked the blog and the posts.Yes it is a fact that we dont have a boss and it is easy to slack off. So we need to be extra careful about this. Great point, Mi Muba !! :)

Mi Muba May 21, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hey Ashvini: This is first time I stopped by here and much impressed to see the quality of contents here.
Without discipline we can do anything but can’t become a successful entrepreneur. We have to be our own boss which means no one would set our deadlines but ourselves. No one would check quality of our work but we do ourselves. For all this we must follow discipline in our every chore to provide quality to our target audience.
Thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful post.

Mark May 21, 2014 at 4:53 am

Well said indeed Ashvini!

In fact, it’s the lack of discipline that separates far too many otherwise extremely talented and smart entrepreneurs from real long term success!

Would you not agree that a staggering 95-97% come out of the box on fire! Meaning they love to to start new things!Over and over again!

But once the smoke clears and their initial enthusiasm starts to fade, and it’s time to deal with the day to day ups and down!

Their discipline dries up faster than the cash in in an exposed Ponzi scheme! Too bad! Your points are well stated! Thanks for sharing them!!

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 21, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Hi Mark,
Thanks first of all for the tweets :).
Yes, this is a fact that discipline is a must for taking idea to market. Once the initial enthusiasm goes down, a lot of people do lose hope. I am seeing this in blogging world. A lot of bloggers have closed down and walked away. I feel sad about this but I cannot do anything about it. They lost the discipline and went away.
Thanks for your comment :)

Adrienne May 21, 2014 at 2:25 am

Hey Ashvini,

Boy are you ever right about that. Without the discipline we’ll be hard pressed to get the things accomplished that need to be done. At times myself I’ve just not felt like writing but I knew I had a schedule and there was no way I was not meeting it.

I think your talents as a developer are amazing. I can say that because I have no clue what’s involved but I wish I understood it more. I would love to have more knowledge for some things so I wouldn’t have to call you each time and could do some of this myself.

I’m so glad that Carolyn peaked your interest about creating Share Juice Pro because it’s one of my favorite plugins now. You’ve done such a wonderful job with it and you know I stand behind you 100%.

Thank you for that shout out Ashvini and for reminding us all that if we want to succeed in our business, discipline needs to be toward the top of that list.

Ashvini Kumar Saxena May 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for your appreciation. I try to learn all the time and that keeps me aware of the latest things. As you know , social media is a new thing and is constantly changing and thus one needs to be upto date. Adding something everyday to things I am doing keeps building the stuff. I am very happy that you are using it to the maximum :).
Glad to read your comment. Have a great day.

Akos Fintor May 20, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Hey my man,

Discipline is one of most crucial element in a daytrader’s life. Without having this important factor in your arsenal I would be wiped out of this game very quickly.
Totally agreed. thanks for the share bud!

Akos