What’s age got to do with it?

by Ashvini on October 29, 2014 · 9 comments

in Entrepreneurship,Leadership

I have a feeling that a lot of people do not get into entrepreneurship because they feel they are quite old to do it. And here I do not mean old as in 70-80 year age range but even in the 30-40 range.

This reminds me of the age old cliché that age is just a number. When getting into entrepreneurship a person rationalizes a lot. He or she thinks about saving for future and taking care of family. He also rationalizes about leaving a well paid position and going into the undefined, uncertain territory.

The call can come any time. Youngster willing to do something different than all their job seeking friends, people tired of race of climbing corporate ladder and people facing the so called “midlife crisis

I was reading the article http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/238924 and it clearly showed that a lot of people started late in life and achieved success in their sixties and seventies. One person, Fauja Singh was running marathon in his nineties.

It should serve as a helpful reminder, to younger friends that I talk to, who are very comfortable in their skin at the moment. They would like to get out of the rut but are unable to get any idea they can stick with or they are too scared to make the move. Role of age in entrepreneurship

Often if one is trying to do something unique, it may take years to get successful. JK Rowling had her success a few years before today. Her story is all about hard work and struggle. Not to say that everyone needs to go through struggle to be successful but usually that is the way.

Coming back to the question of age, whether you are 40 or 80 , risks of starting a business are the same minus the assumption of age related risks. So at least the excuse of starting late does not make much of sense.

Starting late has often the advantages. I was able to start my first business because I had saved up some money. I was able to start this blog because I had work experience.

I was able to attract customers to my product because I had experience in selling. Though I am not old but I had some experience which I utilized to create favorable condition for myself. Every experienced person who has some kind of experience would be able to utilize their experience.

In my opinion, passion for starting is most important. Depending upon your capacity to take risk ( which may not be age dependent ) you may be willing to give your venture a kick.

The important thing is to start now and research. That would give you some ideas and things to build upon.

Think of the strength you can leverage. For example your experience in sales can be a plus.

Hire someone to cover your weaknesses. If you are not good at something you can always hire someone to do that for you. Older people are normally not into technology that much and they can get help from younger generation.

Use your age to build upon the expertise. You already know things and all you need them is to apply them to your domain of passion. Not only you build things but you build on top of things that you have.

Create second line of leadership. You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone. That part is over. Now you should be in the process of growing business. For that you need to create new leaders in your organization. That would help them learn and it will enhance your reputation too.

There are so many things an experienced person can do. Sure he or she does not have the youth on their side but experience and expertise more than make for it. Its time to follow your passions and leave your fears behind.

Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Aman October 18, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Love these tips.

Age is not a barrier, it’s just a number. So it has nothing to do with your achievment. I agree with all the points mentioned above.

Keep up the awesome work

Raaja Anandhan June 25, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Hi Saxena,
Age doesn’t a matter for achievers. We all know about KFC Chicken, the CEO of kfc started his business at the age 88. Then you said that, call can come at any time, this is not only suits to only people, it’s also for youngster. Whatever may happens at any time, we just have to focus on our goal.

Anyway, interesting write up. Thanks for share. Have a happy sunday.

Ariffin January 18, 2016 at 8:00 am

It is certainly not about age when it comes to start for a business. For me, it is all about income security and commitment.

If you start at the early age, where you have less commitment, yoy will have plenty of room to try and error.

For middle age (30-40) who have already generate stable monthly income, to start a business is a little bit risky. Plus they afraid to leave their comfort zone area.

Yes it never to late to start a business but it is better to have steady passive income such as FD and rental income just for back up.

Raphael December 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Hello Asvhini,

This is indeed a lovely topic. Age most atimes is a self-limiting factor. many people complain of either being too young or too old to do a task. There is no age limit for an entrepreneur.

That doesn’t mean one should wait till he starts getting old, you may not have what it takes now to start up, but you can draw a plan, you can document an idea, you can think out a strategy, and all of this can be done now even without having the finance.

I refuse to allow age limit me.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Sneha August 2, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Many people tried to convince me this is the job of teens who can stick to computer 24/7 and become online geek.
Many others argued I would be entirely detached from the offline world.I think that we’ll never know though unless we try it but some people are willing to take that chance while others aren’t. Granted, you need to be smart about it and not do like I did but I’m still glad I did it.

Mohd Arif May 18, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Hi Asvhini,

Thanks for this post, I am new in blogging I am 25 year old and these days I earn good earning from my blog every month, I think this is a best carrier for me.

Before Blogging I worked into MNC but these I din’t have satisfied my carrier, Hope here I can get more success into blogging.

Regards
Mohd Arif

Regards
Mohd Arif

Anne Juma March 3, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I saw on youtube a guy who at 90 is still a body builder. You watch the guy train and you hate your tummy, I mean the guy is ripped. Anyways, age is just a number, you can do anything at whatever age.

Mi Muba December 20, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Hi Ashvini

After reading the first paragraph I thought you wrote this post about what all happened to me when I decided to start my first blog at the age of 40 some four years ago.

Many others argued I would be entirely detached from the offline world.

With these diverse advice I ventured into it and now quite successful in this field and very satisfied with what I have.

Thanks a lot for sharing a very interesting post.

Adrienne November 6, 2014 at 2:18 am

Hey Asvhini,

I saw a post today on Facebook from Huffington Post that said that age was just a number and that I do truly believe.

I came online at the age of 49 so I know how scary it is to leave behind the only thing you’ve known and a darn great salary to try my hand at something I knew nothing about. All because I was sick of the rat race and wanted something different.

Great post and topic my friend. Thanks for sharing this and hope you’re doing well.