There are hardly a few ideal managers I met in my life. One of the most ideal managers are our wives/husbands ( if readers are married ). They work so hard to keep the house neat and clean and to keep it running.
In office ideal manager is one who does his/her job of keeping the team competitive as well as cooperative.
Here is what else an ideal manager does
- take the blame and transfer the credit
- praise in public and rebuke in private
- be fair to all team members in appraisal time and without any personal bias
- will keep his team in good humour
- learn how not to panic in tricky situations and also he will teach them to his members
- will stand up for his team member when he knows that they are right.
- coordinate and resolve the conflicts rather than playing upon them
- mentor his team members
- ask his mentees to mentor new team members
- be flexible with personal issues of team members yet firm on the project objectives
- create backup of team members and also ask them to learn cross-functional things in addition to their own
- keep abreast of technological changes
- be willing to learn from his subordinates
- develop a leadership team below him which is ready to take over once he leaves the position
- reward performance and advise improvements where he observes lack of it
- take up coordinator role where cross-team projects are involved
An ideal team manager in return for this will get following
- A happy team satisfied with workplace
- More retention, less attrition
- Higher productivity
- Willingness by team members to take initiatives
- Team members owning up mistakes
- Aspiration to emulate the team manager
Are you an ideal manager or do you know one ?
Image courtesy of iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net